i have been babysiting for a young mom, and she dosent listen to me

i have told her 3 times now i dont have apple juice in my house the reason..acid butt, which come to find out it happens to her kid ( 18 months ) so she picks him up will call 10 mins later did you give him apple juice? no we just talked about this lastnight why is he ok? yeah but his farts stink. well hes a lil guy. does he climb your stairs? no i have a gate up. she will call did he climb your stairs? again no gate up. i tell her i feed kids at 11:30. she will call did you feed him? yes at 11:30 and he ate this much. ohhh ok. i will tell her he didnt nap. she will call did he nap? no he didnt. its getting annoying how should i handle this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• well she is a young mother and i call and check on my children all the time if i am not home. i have two teens and call them all the time if i go somewhere and i call them if they are not home its part of being a mother. i say just deal with it how long have you been watching her child? i would be annoyed if she never called and checked on him
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Recognize that she's nervous (natural). Maybe talk with her about this. Ask her if she feels extra nervous or is she untrusting of you....and offer to her "what can I do to help you feel more at ease, so you can focus on your job while away from him".
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• print out an info paper with all the info on it and fill it out daily, nap time and how long, when and what he ate throughout the day, what kind of activities you did, how many wet and dirty diapers etc. Also let her know that while you are glad to watch her child durning the day afternoon/evening/ nights whatever are for you and you would appreciate it if she would save all of her nonlife threatening questions for the next day.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Not only do young moms do this but so do most new moms. If she wants to feed her kid apple juice that is her perogiative. It isn't you kid so there isn't much you can do about it. If you don't want to keep her kid b/c of the way she raises him you shouldn't. This is her kid and while you can give her "suggestions" it doesn't mean she has to go by them. I don't mean to sound hateful, but how did you feel when you left your kid in the care of someone else? Or have you had to go through that? It isn't easy, and she just wants to know about her kid, there is nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it,tell her in two weeks she needs to find someone else. Don't just drop him. But that is JMHO
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i agree but i tell her everything when she comes over when he ate what he ate how much we talked about the juice thing she knows i gate the stairs but even after telling her she will call and im like uhhh ok but remember i said ....... when you picked him up. oh right. i understand being nurvous and thats fine and natural but why not listen to me when i talk to you about what went on threw out the day.
    Anonymous

• She sounds needy - maybe if you had a "take home" report and just jotted down what he did during the day, she'd feel better.

We were ALL young mothers once upon a day and leaving your baby in the care of others is a big leap of faith.

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Make a folder with a sheet of boxes you can check off or write short words. Like nap yes or no how long. Ate_____% of his lunch. Were there any issues...how many bottles, paci..whatever applies. Fill it out each day before she comes. Call it a communcication log. She can also write notes like on antibiotics give 5 ccs at 10am..Or Bubba fell and bummped his forehead on the floor last night . That way it backs you both up about what the other was and wasn't told. Put a place for you each to initial each day. My cousin has a home daycare, she has had one for over 15 yrs. She does this with all of her kids. It is a little wwork...but it has saved her butt more than once. She now puts "initialing of communicatioon log daily required"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• ok the juice thing... i dont give my son apple juice "turns into acid butt" and when she asked what juice i have i told her and she was happy cause applejuice gives her kid acid butt also. i never said dont give it to him if thats what the kid likes and thats what she wants him to have fine. but booth agreeded and laughed about applejuice. and i dont give her sujestions on how to raise him i tell her my son eats luch at 11:30 and thats when i feed hers to not sujestining she do that. i dont tell her what to do or how. i just tell her what went on threw out the day food play whatever. again i tell her everyday when she gets him. its like she dosent hear me and then will call. if she listend she would have known what he ate for lunch. i really like the kid and my son loves playing with him hes a good kiddo i just dislike not being heard. i even tell her he pooped at this time and was change.
    Anonymous

• I'd write everything down for her. I know its kind of a pain, but if its that annoying that she calls maybe that will help bc it will all be there for her.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 1:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't tell her a thing when she picks him up. She is gonna ask you anyway. She isn't paying attention to you when you tell her so don't. this will lead her to ask you herself, in which, she may remember it more.
    pattigioeli

Answer by pattigioeli at 1:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009