Collectivist?

Are the rights of a group GREATER than the rights of an individual?

"Collectivism is defined as the theory and practice that makes some sort of group rather than the individual the fundamental unit of political, social, and economic concern. In theory, collectivists insist that the claims of groups, associations, or the state must normally supersede the claims of individuals."

With Obama's ideals, would you say he is a collectivist? In your opinion~How do his ideals fit in with the ideals of our founding fathers?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_613898.html

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....? Then yes, after all there are people making billions of dollars a year while thousands of children go without steady meals every day. The problem with this theory is that everyone seems to think it's ok, until it happens to them:
    For example, if my child was seriously sick I would want to jump through every hoop to ensure everything possible was done to help him. However this may be at the great expense of taxpayers, is this fair?? IT's a very sticky situation and there's no easy answer.
    Anonymous

• Anon. we live in a very charitable country but I don't think redistribution of wealthy is the answer. Policies to redistribute wealth don't get rid of poverty and eventually the producers of wealth will get tired of working harder and harder only to have the government decide that they are entitled to it.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 12:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I believe ~it is my and my husbands responsibility to work and provide for our family. Not the Federal Governments. The less taxes they take from us, the more we can provide for our family and the less we need the government involved in our live. (as it should be)

I think too much collectivism leads to dependency. Before you know it the "needs of the nation" outweigh the "producers who provide the funds".

I think Obama is building a larger Federal Government and shrinking the private industry.  IMO, This is AGAINST what our founding fathers wanted. Some of his ideals may have irreversible consequences. ie: Global Banking Solutions, Nationalized Healthcare.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Obama absolutely could fit in with collectivist ideals. Our founding fathers are turning in their graves due to the mess Obama has made/will make of this country. The principles/ideals/etc that our founding fathers worked so hard to establish, are in total opposition to Obama's pov. This country should be ashamed for this reason.
    Anonymous

• don't expect liberals to answer this question. They will have to admit to an important step in socialism.
    Anonymous

• If you listen to people like Hannity, O'Reilly, Sullivan, Church, this term has been used alot over the last 2 years. I hated to hear it so often, mostly because so many listeners pro and con had no idea what they were talking about. Nationalization, and Collectivism will soon be part of daily talk on news shows and talk radio because of who is in office.
    Obama will be the first President, according to Dick Morris, who will willingly forgo his popularity because of his collectivist, socialist ideologies. Saying Obama is willing to put himself aside for the ultimate goal of remaking the base of the U.S.A. into a Socialist state.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• But, as much as I love Dick Morris, I have to disagree with him because I do not see Obama as ever putting himself aside but rather at the head of the line. He now has free everything for the rest of his life and will be taken care of, who living a life like that cares if he is popular? I think Obama likes living large, enjoys and revels in it, and doesn't care about anyone else other than himself so much so that he is willing to say " the hell with every American citizen this is what I want". I think he is more of a control freak than anything else, collectivism and socialism comes after his control issues.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2009