vicadin and pregnancy

my sciatic has been really hurting with this pregnancy and my mom (a nurse) said that it might be sciatica and that i could either go to the chiropracter or take vicadin, which she said is safe to take when you're pregnant. i take tylenol now and it doesnt seem to do anything and im scared to go to the chiropracter when im pregnant but im also scared that vicadin isnt as safe as they say. anyone heard anything? or are there any alternative treaments that anyone knows of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would never take anything while pregnant silly as it sounds i wouldn't even take tylenol til i called the doc and got the ok i would call your doctor
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i woudl ask your dr your mom may be a nurse but she is not an OBGYN or an OB nurse and she doesnt know what has been going on medically in your pregnancy i had morphine once only once in my first pregnancy and it was ok but i would ask your dr first before doing anything like that also try stretchs and hot packs that is what i had to do
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Go to the DR. if it's that bad they will prescribe a mild painkiller for you. I had bronchitis real bad with my first pregnancy, and the DR prescribed me Tylenol with Codeine for night. They said it was safe to take in moderation, and it was only like 10 MG of Codeine.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• actually vicadin turns into morphean in ur system, that's how it works. Would u give ur fetus morphean? Then there is ur answer.

I know how bad sciatica hurts I get them often and it's worst when preg, stay off ur feet, take warm showers, have some one rub ur back, try not to drive or lift heavy things take motrin for the inflamation and u can see a chiro that specializes in preg women dont get ajusted just get rubbed or what ever they offer u. Or go get a back rub, message just don tlet them rub ur feet.

By all means don't take vicadin, remember that when ur mom was younger it wa sokay to smoke and drink while preg too.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 12:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• actually she IS an o.b. nurse. and i dont have the option to stay off my feet and all that stuff i have to work. i dont want to get my baby all drugged up so im lookin for different options if anyone knows of any. but then again, if its safe to take all those i.v. narcotics during labor, then why isnt it safe during the pregnancy? (that sounds more argumentative that it should, its a genuine question) thanks ladies!
    Anonymous

• you should ask your dr because i agree she doenst know medically what is going on in your pregnancy .. i dotn agree with the whole drugs in labor thing either its not good ever i wouldnt risk taking it until your dr has said that it is ok and safe for you to take
    Anonymous

• My doctor prescribes Vicoden for me due to my severe migraines. I still cringe at the memory of them... Anyway, I was worried about the effect of drugs to the fetus, but my doc. told me that Vicoden won't pass into the uterus. Also, if you're worried about the Vicoden turning into Morphine (which I don't know if that is true or not...) remember that cow's milk, for sure, does the same thing. The way your body breaks it down created the same chemical compounds as morphine.. that's why warm milk at night makes you sleepy.. Obviously, it's OK to drink milk whilst preggo. So, I wouldn't worry about it. If your doc. prescribes vicoden, take it. Or take warm showers and do stretches that help the sciatica. That's the beauty of being a parent.. you get to weigh out what is best for your baby and what isn't. Good luck to you, and do whatever you need to do to feel the best for your youngin'!
    burning_woman

Answer by burning_woman at 12:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If animal reproduction studies have shown an adverse effect on the fetus, if there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, and if the benefits from the use of the drug in pregnant women may be acceptable despite its potential risks

That is what is means for vicodin-it is cat. C. call your doctor and ask them.
    Anonymous

• Going to the chiropracter is COMPLETELY safe. It can really help with your nerve as well as increase blood flow to the tissues and nerves that are causing you pain. I delt with this with my daughter and I WISH I had of gone to a chiropracter then instead of just suffering. I couldn't even go shopping it was so bad with my daughter.

As far as the vicodin goes...small amounts will not harm your baby; however, like anything there are risk but the risk are minimal if your past your 3-8 week period of development and since I would assume you are if your having this pain which is usually caused by pressure from the baby on the nerve.

Find a chiropracter who is EXPERIENCED in pregnancy and you will soon feel so much better. It can also help your body prepare for delivery by getting your body aligned.
    Anonymous

• this artical explains how vicadin turns into morphean

http://psy.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/44/6/515

and the only thing I can say about all those drugs given to some women durring birth is that at least thy are being closely monitored by doctors, their babies are being monitored and if there should happed to have an adverse reaction or indanger the baby at leats their in a hospital with capiable staff.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009