Young kids sharing a bed?

Has anyone ever had young children share a bed? My son (3 1/2 - twin bed) and daughter (1 1/2 - crib w/one side off converted to toddler bed) sleep in our living room. My dd has started climbing over the side of the crib with the rail to get over a babygate we have between our living room and dining room. There isn't really another place to put the crib so we were considering taking it down and letting them share the twin bed. Most of the time they sleep with DH and I with the two of them between the two of us, so they are used to snuggling together, but they could also sleep one on each end with plenty of room in between. This would only be for the next year or so since we are building a new house. Has anyone done something like this? I've heard of people with twins having them share - any ideas how it worked?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can only say I've had my oldest two share a bed when we're traveling....it was a blow up queen...and they didn't sleep very well. However, they don't usually share to begin with.

If they're used to it, I don't think it would be a problem. Don't be surprised to find them both at one end in the mornings! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i dont think it is a problem i used to get in bed with my older brother. and no nothing ever happened.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 4:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Our boys were 18 months apart, and I especially arranged for them to share a bed once the crib phase was over. They could keep each other warmer at night.

A nice plus was that I could snuggle beside both of them when reading a bedtime story and they could both see the pictures. And since they were already in bed while we read the story, by the time I finished the bed was warmed up and this helped them drowse more easily off to sleep.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• i see no problem whatsoever with little kids sharing a bed i do have twins a boy and a girl and they are inseperable ,whne i was younger i had 3 sisters and 2 brothers it was a cold farm house we lived in so we all use to climb into 1 bed and snuggle up like little kittens and no nothing ever happened with us either we were little kids, adults are the sickos that get ideas not babies.
    Anonymous

• Thank you for the answers. I actually wasn't at all worried about anything unsavory happening. More wondering if there were any other issues I wasn't thinking of like issues with bedtime routines, problems with pillows/blankets, kicking each other, whatever. At this point, they'd probably be pretty close to asleep before we'd even put them in bed.

I like the thought about reading them a bedtime story together. That has been one issue with the separate beds - both want to be able to see the book and with about 3 feet between the beds, that didn't work well.
    Anonymous

• My 2 share a bed, they comfort eachother in the middle of the night when one wakes up scared. It has worked pretty well, they say they want a bigger bed soon so we might have to buy a full size bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Mar. 7, 2009