Having a hard time to get my 21 month old to sleep in his crib or put himself to sleep. Any ideas?

toddler sleep

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I was having a hard time getting my 18 month dd to sleep in her crib as well. Once she was asleep, I had a hard time keeping her that way. We finally went to the store one day and she decided she wanted a Princess toddler bed. So, I bought it. I brought it home, took her crib down, set it up, and she went to sleep that night like it was nothing. She still has her nights where she's tough, but she's doing really well with it. She watches TV from 7:30 - 8:00, and at 8, it's storytime then lights out. She's taken to it really well.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 1:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Is this a recent phase where he's having difficulty sleeping or has he never really slept in his crib all along???
    Check out Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth (this worked for us) or The No Cry Sleep Solution.
    Without more info I can't really advise you at this point. Feel free to PM me if you want to give more details.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Wish I could give you an answer. I'm searching for the same thing right now. She was doing really well, and now she doesn't want to go to sleep in her crib at all. Wants the floor or our bed and wants us with her the whole time too. Maybe it's the age? Good luck!
    Sunflasher

Answer by Sunflasher at 3:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Is your child in daycare? My daughter started rejecting her crib after she got to nap in a cot at daycare. So we went out and bought a twin mattress with a low profile box spring and put it on the floor. She loves sleeping in her bed. She does really well.

She has never been good at sleeping through the night though. So most nights she still gets up at least once between 3am and 5am and comes into our room. I recently bought the good night light and that is helping a little bit too.

I would love to learn how to stop the 3am wake up. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. The child is simply awake for 1 to 2 hours. She has been doing this since birth!!
    MelNJ

Answer by MelNJ at 10:06 PM on Sep. 6, 2009