Are there organizational skills classes for children?

My 12 year old is very smart but is getting bad grades because he forgets to bring books home, can't find the homework when it's time to turn it in and stuff like that. We have tried having him write everything down, given him a separate folder for homework, etc. but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know of some sort of organizational skills class that is offered for children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Have you considered that your child might have ADD? Not being mean, I am serious. My son has ADD and those are all typical signs/behaviors.
    Anonymous

• Ditto with the previous poster. You need to talk to his teachers about that or something similar. There are some schools that offer life skills classes.
    Anonymous

• I think it is very common at that age. My kids all did that and the youngest was doing it last year. He is 12 also. We went and got a folder that looks like an accordion. It has several folders in it. Then we marked all of the folders per their classes. The front two we use for homework to be done and homework to be returned. It is an easy routine and it really works. The teachers in our school liked it so much they started using it for the kids that have the same problems. The folder I am referring is plastic, it comes in exciting colors, so the kids like them. It gives them a sense of direction, and the thought that they can do it on their own.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 10:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2009