Screaming Baby

My 3 month old is great. From the time she wakes up until about 7PM she's giggles, rainbows, sunshine and unicorns.

About 7PM she gets cranky, as is expected for a little one. The trouble is that EVERY NIGHT she SCREAMS from 8-10PM - until she finally falls asleep. She consistently falls asleep at 10PM and for the last week hasn't woken up until 7AM. 9 hours is great for 3 months, but what can I do about the screaming at night?

I think she's fighting sleep, and that the feeling of being tired makes her mad. She literally screams and flails around like she's in pain! She turns red and even loses her voice sometimes! I've tried everything from leaving her in her bed alone, to walking/rocking her to sleep. I’ve given her a bottle, her binky, her bunny. It doesn't seem to matter what I do- she screams every night for at least an hour and half, and always crashes at 10PM.

What can I do about the screaming?!?!

Katrinka_Renee

Asked by Katrinka_Renee at 12:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she have a bedtime routine? Try putting her to bed earlier, after a nice warm bath. It may just be that she is getting over tired, if my dd is up even a little too late she still gets really cranky. And when she starts screaming, just sit down somewhere quiet with her and hold her, sing to her softly. You don't want to over stimulate her by trying everything you can think of. The fact that she isn't doing this throughout the day makes me think it isn't gas.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You can try giving her a bath or getting in the shower with her. Sometimes that helps.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If it wasn't for the routine I would think she had gas. I was surprised at how well singing calms my DD, she stops crying, stares and smiles. You might want to try the gas med just in case.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Does she nap well during the day? It sounds like she is getting to the point where she is over tired. Try increasing naps and/or starting bedtime earlier.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009