When is it "ok" to use a racial slur?-Sensitive wording, caution...

Long story short: my MIL drives a school bus for handicapped children. Yesterday as she was in the designated parking (for buses) waiting for one of the children to be loaded on the bus, she was confronted by a very angry woman. This was an older woman (40's?) and black. She proceeded to tell my MIL to move the bus (I guess it was blocking the exit and she couldn't move her car...but remember, this is the designated bus zone) When MIL tried to explain why she couldn't move the bus, the woman proceeded to curse at my MIL and was also calling her a "cracker", fat white bitch, etc (and all of this while handicapped kids were on the bus!) My MIL is a patient woman, so she simply shut the bus door and didn't confront this woman's actions. The woman then also started kicking the bus and continuing the racial slurs. Eventually, the principal came out and had the lady get back into her car.

CONT...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• There are so many other ways to insult people, especially crazy acting people without using racial slurs.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't think it's ever ok but that's just me. I probably would have started cussing back at this woman because that's just how I am but I don't think there would have been any racial slurs in there. then I would be at this womans level. JMO.
    Anonymous

• Color has nothing to do with ignorance,I would have got her license no and reported her.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• that woman just sounds nuts lol and sorry to say but some black people think it is ok to use words that way towards white people because its not racist but they really need to learn what racism is then i think it is wrong period and that was way wrong of that woman to freak out like that
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• CONT

OP-Now I'm not usualy one to use racial slurs, but in this case, I just might have! I also know 2 wrongs don't make a right....BUT, if that person started it, I don't know if I could stand not to finish it. What do you ladies think?
    Anonymous

• It's never okay and your MIL handled the situation beautifully!

Now...had it been me, and had there been no children around in earshot...I would have given that bitch an earful right back withOUT using racial slurs....But she would know she was being told a thing or two.

But...that's with no kids around....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• This is stupid honestly. Why would you think its okay to return ignorance with ignorance?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It's never ok. Your MIL handled it perfectly.

There's no temptation for me to ever use those words, no matter what provocation. There's no excuse that makes it ok.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Your MIL handled it beautifully. Though I may have been tempted to cuss at the woman, I've never had any desire to use racial slurs toward anyone. The lady sounded like a real nut job though. I hate it at my kids school when parents feel they can drive in the buses only lane to get their kids, and then get mad at the bus drivers for not moving. I've seen it happen quite a bit, but not to that extent.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I agree with the first poster........ignorance is colorless. Im so sorry that those children had to endure that type of behavior....... Okay now what exactly is a cracker referring to lol?

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 2:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009