How to perk up Depressed Laid off DH?

DH is on A long term Lay off & may lose this Job too! His last job closed & moved out of the country! Times Are Tough! Our entire long time Marriage has been pure problems & poverty.. But we survived it all... It seems Endless.. Now he's 50 & I see him getting Depressed! It seems overwhelming & there's no help in our Rural Area!! Heck it took weeks to find a way to buy his meds. When NO one Helps or Cares! Now mind you I'm not Well!! But I have gone without any needful things & health care for years.. I'm used to it!! I hate to see him Sad & not himself! Plus this Long Cold Winter isn't helping!! Any ideas.. I have Another Migraine today & feel for him!! Kind Replies are Greatly Needed & Appreciated! My Daughter is going through this too! Except she's just 24 with her 3RD child on the way.. No Good news here!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 1:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• This is a complete out-of-left-field suggestion.....

Is your daughter married? If not, and she doesn't have a career, maybe she could look into going back to school or joining the military (great benefits!). And while she is doing that, maybe your DH could watch the kids. It keeps him busy, lets him be around his grandkids, and he will be helping out your daughter! Some colleges offer childcare reimbursement through scholarships,etc so he might even get paid while doing it. And, there are lots of scholarships and grants for single mothers to help you daughter pay for school. I recommend something in the medical field or civil service (such as police, firefighter, etc) as these jobs will always be needed and aren't as affected by the economy. Even at 50 your DH is not to old to learn to be a lab technician or something in the medical field and can be trained in a year or less!

Good luck!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 1:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I really don't have an answer for you, I wish I did. But I to am feeling the hard times, as a single mother of 2 children and 3 step children in my home with their father I know I have to be creatful. When I feel like the day just won't end for me and my family I find things that don't cost alot of money and we go do them as a family. Here the weather is nice so we have been taking the kids and dogs for walks to help us get out. Maybe a movie or get a movie and come home, sit and talk!! I know if don't sound like much, but you have made it this far, Don't give up. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers!
    calygreen

Answer by calygreen at 1:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2009