How many moms on here have had a baby at home?

I had both my boys at the hospital. And was just looking in to home birth for the next baby and wondering how many people have done this. I want a try a different style of labor and delivery. So any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

izzyandbuggsmom

Asked by izzyandbuggsmom at 1:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My first was a planned homebirth but I PPROMed at 28 weeks so it wsn't ideal. I am pregnant again and planning another UC (unassisted childbirth at home) LOTS of mamas do this! I reccomnd joining a group I am in called natural pregnancy and childbirth. There you can talk to lots of mamas and get facts and support. CONGRATS! Homebirths rule!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am planning a home birth, my mother had a home birth and so did my sister! ITA with navy-wife about joining the npc group! There are lots of moms her on CM that have done it or plan on doing it.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 1:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I want a home birth badly because I am so terrified of going to the hospital again that it keeps me up at night. I almost died giving birth to my first baby and after doing some research I realized that my complications were caused by medical intervention that was done to me.

If your thinking about a home birth watch "The Business Of Being Born" to get some facts and statistics. Then if you decide to have a home birth get your research on. LOL Educate,Prepare yourself, take classes in infant CPR as well as others that are offered and decide if you would like a midwife present or not.

GL
    Anonymous

• I have not had a home birth but DH and I are planning an unassisted home birth for this baby!

There are so many things you can do and at home is safer for mother and baby! :) You can always find a home birth midwife in your area and discuss options/fears etc. :) I hate hospitals and my birth was *ideal* for many women but I refuse another hospital experience. (I am due w/ #2 in May).

Join some groups on here. Birth is Normal is geared towards out of hospital births, there is plenty of information to go around. Look at your resources! If you have any questions just message me :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am currently 5 days overdue with baby #4, and my 3rd planned homebirth baby. My last 2 were born at home with the help of wonderful midwives and I would never go back to a hospital unless there were a true emergency. There is so much information out there in support of midwife attended homebirths and how much safer they are than hospital births. For me, it is more than that...it is the fact that you can't really fully experience what your body is capable of in a hospital birth (except for those doctors, few and very far between, who are more aligned with the midwifery model of care). We have many wonderful midwives in the SA area, and I highly recommend checking them out at http://www.sanantoniomidwives.org/
    Best wishes!
    Diane
    www.gobabygoshop.com
    GoBabyGoDiane

Answer by GoBabyGoDiane at 2:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009