Premature-Late Walker

My son is 15 months and was born at 6 1/2 months. He is not walking just yet. I am not concerned because he has done quite well physically. But i was wondering had anyone been in this situation and wanted feedback. Thanks!

DjMom1129

Asked by DjMom1129 at 1:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he's probably jus fine... My Brother walked at 14 mon n he was full term.
    i didnt hav a premie, but dont they count their age according 2 whn they were due???
    so physically he's just about a yr old, rite? sum kids dnt walk as early as others.
    Are his other motor skills behind? u probably dnt hav 2 worry. i know its exciting whn ur
    baby does new tihngs:) but dont rush it. I couldnt wait 4 my lil 1 2 walk... she hasnt taken
    a seat since... and talkn, o plsz... it never stops lol. GUD LUKK!
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yep, for milestones he's 12 months old, not 15 months. While he is birthday was 15 months ago, he still had to put in those 3 months of growth and development that full term babies do while in the womb. Once he did that, he could start putting in the growth and development that full term babies do after birth.
    So when should you start worrying? Doctors will start worrying if babies aren't walking by 18 months (21 months for you).
    When will you be able to stop adjusting his age? If varies from child to child but he should be pretty well caught up with his birthday mates by the time he starts school.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My daughter was born at 36 weeks and she didn't walk until she was 15.5 months old. It's not late. You might feel like it is, but it's not. Sounds like your little one is right on track. :)
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 1:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would say don't stress. We all want our kids to do what we think comes next, and hurry about it. I wanted mine to walk, she hasn't sat since. I wanted her to talk, and I haven't had a moment of silence since "mama". She walked a little after her first birthday, which is just about where your son is now, as far as his adjusted age goes. I would give him some more time before I hit the panic button, he seems right on track!
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 1:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My son was born late and he is finally walking at 17 months. He started to take steps at 15 months and is now walking 75% of the time. Your little one will get there soon! The doctor says they aren't concerned until 18 months old and with your son a preemie, it may be even later than that.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Hey there... no worries, I'm sure he's just fine. My son was born 13 days early and started walking right at 12 months... so since yours should be meeting 12 month milestones, I certainly wouldn't worry. I know a little boy (used to baby sit him), he's 17 months and not walking yet. All children do things at different times.
    ChristinaM85

Answer by ChristinaM85 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Oh yes. My son was full term and he didn't walk until 16 mos.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have read in a couple of baby books that the average walking age for even a full term baby can be anywhere from 9-18 months. I dont think you have anything to worry about with him not walking yet
    brittoh

Answer by brittoh at 4:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009