Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I would like to have my kids school district include the high school level for their Autism program? How do I go about doing this?

I have a severely challenged autistic son, plus a very high functioning daughter
with Asperger Syndrome. The school district currently has great resources and help for the kids through the middle school years. There currently isn't adequate help for those high school age and beyond. How do I work with the school district to show them the need to keep the autism program going through the high school years?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Answers (5)
  • It is usually the case in the majority of districts that each district has a special school for high school students with certain disabilities. Reason being is because depending on the disability, the students go there to learn other things besides education, like life skills, etc. The students usually attend the schools until the age of 22. The first 4 years are academic and the last 4 years are life skills, teaching them how to function in society and hopefully live on their own or be able to be as independent as possible. This would be appropriate for a more severe autistic student. For a student with Asperger's there are services provided from the district at the regular high school through the IEP. They can be fully included and still receive special education services as deemed appropriate. If you would want to change this though, you best bet is to write the state department of education in Sacramento.

    Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • Assuming you live in California, sorry.

    Answer by goinginsane1 at 2:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • Form a coalition of parents who have children who would benefit from such a program currently, and parents who would benefit from the program in the future (kids will be attending high school in next 5 years). Discuss your mission. Talk with schools in other areas and ask if they will share their costs and agenda(core curriculumn) with you.  Prepare a plan to present your case and meet with school board. Ask every parent to attend. Also have signatures of parents who would be interested in such a program.


    Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • My son has PDD-NOS. You need to become familiar with IDEA and NCLB if you aren't already. Google Wrightslaw education for some good info.

    Federal law requires school districts to provide services and to practice inclusion unless it just isn't possible for the child. Failure to provide services can cause the district to lose federal funding. Additionally, these districts can be sued by the parents.

    goinginsane1 is correct. However, this much service isn't offered everywhere. It should be though!


    Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • cont...

    Your son should just be able to progress with his IEP as he has done before. If the high school isn't going to do it you need to see the superintendent. We had a little hitch when our son started Kindergarten. We met with the superintendent. It took him all of 2 minutes to see I knew what I was talking about and meant business. An hour after getting home the school called asking me what my child needed. It has been smooth sailing since.

    YOU have the power. Use it!

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.