Will nursing a baby mess up pregnancy test results?

I'm nursing my 5 mo baby girl and have already gotten my cycle back. I have symptoms of pregnancy but can't seem to get a test to turn out positive even though I'm now 6 days late and I *usually* get a positive almost right away.. Can nursing cause a false negative result?

dovetailthreads

Asked by dovetailthreads at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nursing will NOT affect an HPT result in anyway.

If you ARE pregnant your HCG levels may not be high enough yet to detect pregnancy. The other possiblity is that you ovulated a little late this month and your cycle is just a little off. Breastfeeding can be the reason for irregular cycles but since it does not increase or decease HCG levels there would be no reason for it to cause incorrect results.

If your concerned ask your doctor about a blood HCG test.
    Anonymous

• if ur late it could be do to breastfeeding, stress, ilness, it doens't take much for a ycle to our of wack. and whie ur bf ur preg hormones are still almost like ur preg. so that could be the reason for the other things. good luck.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 1:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Nursing doesn't effect HCG lvls. Yours just may not be high enough to detect or you are not pregnant. Many things can cause *pregnancy* symptoms and a change in cycle. :)

Get a blood test if you are worried.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:52 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• No. If you think you are really pregnant and not getting a pos on home test try going to the dr and asking for a blood test. It can show pos within 3 days of conception. Your body might still be recovering from having the baby as well. I know with my first and second I wasn't completely regular for a yr. With my third I did get pregnant not 3 months later and a home test was pos. GL
    Anonymous

• Go to king soopers buy the Answer brand test.
    gifford4ofus

Answer by gifford4ofus at 2:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009