Tradition in Filipino babies getting circumcised

I have a friend that is dispute in getting some answers. She is on a limb trying to figure out what she wants to do. Her first son was circumized no tradition attached. But she is now married to a Filipino. And is pregnant with a baby boy. Her husband and MIL say that they don't circumize before the age of 7. Okay, understandable. But she doesn't want her child to have to go through the torture or the other children making fun of him when it time to change in the locker room. I understand that too. Need I say the PAIN of going through that. What is she supposed to do? Should she said with the MIL and hubby or go with her way of circumizing right after birth??

4kidsmommy

Asked by 4kidsmommy at 1:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would either do it at birth or NOT at all. Why do it at 7 that is cruel. The Filipino man I dated was not circumcised.
    amber325

Answer by amber325 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• 90% of parents DO NOT circnow...so by doing it he is already going to be looked at funny in the locker room. That's just my opinion. I heard that stat on the news somewhere along the line BTW.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 2:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• 90% that's TOTAL bull crap.

The majority of parents DO in fact circ. I would say do it at birth or not at all. If your dh and MIL complain say it's a "_____ (your ethnicity/religion) tradition to circ as a baby"
    Anonymous

• Actually, the average in the US is about 50/50 circ and non-circ. I'd suggest you do a bit more research on the subject before you decide. Don't do it because he might be teased in the lock room. He will be in good company either way.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I suggest not doing it EVER unless the person decides himself to have a cosmetic surgical procedure.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• "He might get teased" is an absurd reason to circumcise. I know men who grew up being the ONLY intact boy and they didn't get teased for having their entire penis. Nowadays, the circumcision rates in the US are close to 50/50 so neither cut or uncut boys would be more likely to get teased. In some states circumcised baby boys are now in the minority. It doesn't matter what age a male gets circumcised, it will hurt like Hell... having your genitals cut is NOT pleasant. Babies are hypersensitive to pain and cannot safely receive the same level of pain relief as older children or adults, so it is probably even more painful to babies. If it is cruel to circumcise a 7 year old, it's cruel to circumcise an infant.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 5:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Actually, many here in the US may still circ but if you look all around the world as a whole, NOT circing is actually the norm!
    My husband was circd but HE was the one to tell me that there really is no medical reason to have it done at all when I was pregnant with our first son, so I did my own research and found thta he was RIGHT, its nothing more than a cosmetic procedure (hubby is in the health care field) SO we did not have either of our sons circd, I left them the way God made them and I couldnt be happier about that!
    My oldest son turns 3 on the 9th and my baby is 5 months and ive never had even one tiny issue with them not being circd. I feel very passionately about NOT cutting off a piece of my sons penis, I urge ALL mothers to not just listen to what they have always been told and to do a bit of independent research on the matter and THEN decide if they want to do it!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 6:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2009