writing

my dd is 15 months, I give her a pen, pencil, marker sometimes to "write", Very supervised . She likes to hold it from the top, I gently, loving tried to get her to hold it differently, she does want my help, I should just let her be right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yep, she'll develop a mature "pencil grip" by 3 years old. For now, just let her hold any way she wants.
    And get her some washable crayons. They are non-toxic so it won't matter if she tastes them and they come off of most surfaces if she scribbles on something besides paper. Crayola has a nice triangluar shaped set. The shape helps develop a proper pencil grip but - even more importantly - it keeps the crayons from rolling off the table.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Sorry meant to say DOES NOT want my help.
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• At this stage, I would just let her express herself the way she wants. My DD did the same thing and now she's doing better. I just, every once in a while, try to get her to hold it the way she would for writing. It catches on later, but right now she's trying to exert her independence.
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• and I didn't mean to post anony
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• She'll be fine. It 15 months old, she doesn't have fine motor skills yet...those will some with time.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would say so. She's young to hold onto things any differently then what she's doing. My dd loves to write, paint, color, anything where she can make her mark. Let her color and scribble her way, there's plenty of time for her to learn the "right" way.
    LiviGracesmom

Answer by LiviGracesmom at 1:49 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Don't force her. My kindergarten teacher tried to change how I held a pencil and it never worked. It just pissed me off and made me not want to try any more. I still hold my pencil weird, but I write fine :)
    Anonymous

• It's more important that she develop the proper pincer grasp at this stage (thumb and only first finger). Don't worry about the pencil grasp if she is going to fight you on it right now. I would make sure you model for her, though. Ask her to copy you maybe....but don't push it right now.

(I have two in OT for fine motor skill delays)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2009