How to make own baby food?

I have a 6 month old that I am going to start on food soon, and was wondering how to make his food myself. Do I just through a veggie in a puree it? Do I have to add any liquid or vitamins or anything?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 1:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, steam the veggies. Do not boil them. Steaming retains the most nurtients. Then, puree in the food precessor or a food mill. If a thinner consistency is desired, you may use breastmilk, sodium free veggie broth, or water. No vitamins are needed. Remember, solids during the firs tyear are just for practice and babys main nutrients should come from milk.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You dont have to add anything but breastmilk, formula or water. Obviously the better nutrients are in the milk. Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for ALL the info you could ever want. It has recipes and says which foods to start your baby on. Great site.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• make extra and freeze the pureed food too
    Lizard1970

Answer by Lizard1970 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• www.wholesomebabyfood.com

its a GREAT site!! :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 2:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I steam mine, then throw it in the food processor. I thin it with water if it needs it.
    Some foods that turn out GREAT for me..... apples, sweet potatoes and banana's (I just cut up about 2 inch sections of banana... I don't mush them or anything, just freeze them, they don't get brown that way and they mash better than fresh)

Things that didn't turn out so well... peas... the skins were a problem

I buy foods fresh or frozen... both have worked well for me depending on what I am making.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• There are some great ideas at http://www.llli.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html There is often little prep needed such as * Bananas cut into slices which have then been halved or quartered * Unsweetened applesauce, or tiny apple chunks that have been softened by cooking in the microwave * Plums, peaches, pears, and apricots, gently cooked if necessary * Avocado diced into small, bite size pieces Fresh vegetables should be washed, peeled and cooked until tender. Frozen veggies are convenient to have on hand. Avoid the canned varieties to which salt has been added. Your baby may enjoy: * Baked or boiled sweet potatoes, in tiny chunks * Mashed white potatoes * Baby carrots, green beans, peas and squash

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009