What is the best and fastest working anti-depressant

I have only ever tried one kind, not for very long and I can't even remember what they were called but I am completely and utterly a depressed wreck. My 14 year old is about to send me off the deep end. My house is a wreck, I am going off about the dumbest crap and I cry over the littlest things. I can't stand to talk about things it just makes me mad and it makes me feel worse. I am going to the doctor on Mar 12th but I want him to understand how miserable I am without breaking into an emotional disaster. Help anyone ever been where I am describing being?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Health

• YES!!! I was extremely depressed after my DD was born. I blabbered my way through my doctor's visit (tears galore!!!). We went through my medical history (of depression and others in my family). I was put on Lexapro. It worked great for me!! I hope you get the help you need soon!! Good luck momma!
    Samanthasmom210

Answer by Samanthasmom210 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't think there is a "best" since every one really does react differently.
    KEEP THAT APPOINTMENT! And be honest with the doctor.
    Good luck! I know how horrible a feeling that is.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am currently going through the exact same thing and feel the same way. I was recently diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression and have since started taking Prozac and Atavan. The Prozac takes a few weeks to kick in, but the Atavan takes the edge off and calms me down. I am also seeing a therapist after many years of trying to deal with it on my own. It got to the point I couldn't do it anymore. Talk to your doctor about your feelings and see what they recommend. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I was very emotional after I had my daughter and so what if you break down in front of the doctor that is what he is there for silly girl that way he can see how bad it is.

So never think you are the only one going through this ok my doctor put me on Zoloft and I have been taking it for 5 yrs now so far so good...lol this might not work for you maybe it will go get checked before you have a nervous breakdown. GL and God Bless You.

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I've been on Lexapro and Paxil. Paxil didn't help, but Lexapro did. I had severe PPD. It's my understanding that anti-depressants work different for everyone. My friend takes Paxil and it totally helped her. Anyway, I felt like you feel after I had my daughter, and the same with going to the doc...I didn't want to tell him how bad i felt, cause I'd have a breakdown telling him. Well, my husband came with me...and helped me talk to the doc...and thru the tears...but not total meltdown, i told him how i felt. He gave me Paxil first...and after taking it for a while, my anxiety actually got worse...so he switched me to Lexapro. With in a week, I started to calm down some. I hope this helps a little. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• the drugs for depression are not one size fits all. You have to try and try and up doses or lower them throughout the entire time you are taking them. It is very common for a drug that has worked well in the past to stop working at all. Get a Journal and chart your moods, your meds, your foods, what you drink, your sleeping patterns and take them with you to each appt.!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• OP here..Well this morning my stupid tire was flat and that was at 8:30 it is now 12:00 and everytime I even think about anything I burst into tears. I called the doctors office and blubbered thru 2 nurses. One of them goes to my church which I havn't even felt like going to in the last 3 weeks because I can hardly move On Sundays except for to do the one thing that makes me happy and that is to care for my 10 month old, so I know it isn't PPD because if it wasn't for my little guy I would probably just say F it. I quit trying to drink myself out of it a month ago and I now feel even worse at least when I was drinking I didn't care as much. Now I have replaced it with eating and I am even more miserable. Has anyone ever tried Cynbalta?
    Anonymous