question about endocorlologist

I saw this doctor for some symptoms i have been having he ran some test. I got them back and I am waiting to get ahold of the doctor to answer them for me and i am confused and worried and wanted to know if anyone could help the said my DHE adrenal antrogen was high and they want to test for an adrenal enzyme abnormality. what does this mean , I dont get it does anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Health

• (it's Endocrinologist BTW). DHE is "dehydroepiandrosterone" and it is a steroid produced within the body (by the adrenal glands) that is thought to stimulate other body systems. When your DHE adrenal androgen levels are off, you can experience difficulty with thinking clearly, fatigue as well as metabolism and weight issues. Since there is a problem with the levels of one of the androgens (dehydroepiandrosterone) that your adrenal glands are producing, they are going to check the functioning of your adrenal glands altogether next.

Your doctor doesn't explain these things to you? Part of a nurses' function is to explain medical information in laymen's terms. If he/she can't have a nurse do that for you to help you understand exactly what's going on with your body and help you make informed health care decisions...that would bother me as a patient to be honest with you.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2009

• I'm not a doctor or a nurse but I do happen to know quite a lot about the Anatomy and Physiology of the body. If you have more questions, you can try googling the different terms mentioned (Endocrine system, Adrenal Glands, androgens, DHE or DHEA, dehydroepiandrosterone and adrenal enzymes) to learn more. I'd probably call back and ask for an explanation too.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2009