what was the hardest thing about giving birth to your child?

I had toxemia and high blood pressure so the doctors decided to ake me early. I had my boy three and a half weeks early. When i woke up from the drugs i found out that he was in NICU because he started to turn blue. Seeing him for the first time hooked up to all the machines was heart wrenching.

mandic

Asked by mandic at 2:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just knowing I wasnt the only one who could feel him anymore
    Anonymous

• My epi went too high into my chest and I couldnt feel myself breathing...was panicking because of it and if it werent for my husband getting me focused, I would have passed out and they wouldve had to take the baby. THAT was the hardest part for me.

MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• that sounds scary mamachamp! My birth was all pretty easy.Just hated that I couldnt feel him anymore!Glad he is here, but ou know that emotional connection between mother and child before and after birth
    Anonymous

• With my first, after a drug free 5 hour labour, he came out a blue, black colour and took him away so quickley that I didn't get to look at him properly. An hour later a midwife came to tell me that my baby could have brain damage through lack of oxygen, that he, was a he and he was exactly 9 pounds. A week later the doctors said that he was ok, no brain damage and we could go home. I was only 17.
    With my daughter,, I had a 15 minute labour, I only had three small contractions and one massive one that felt like a bus driving out of me... I was in hospital anyway for complications... They delivered my baby (who was 7 pound 13)... Then I had a PPH. I lost 5 anda half pints of blood. My heart stopped. But they managed to save me. Obviously!
    With Troy, who is 7 months, it was much nicer, though so painful... A three hour labour... No pain relief, then Troy 'popped' out, all 9 pound 7 of him!!!
    lara_b

Answer by lara_b at 2:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• With my first, the hardest part was knowing what to do. It was suspected that I had Pre-eclampsia but no blood work was ever done to determine that. The doctor I saw at my weekly visit(on a Thursday) was on call that weekend so he decided it was a good time for me to have the baby--his words, not mine. I didn't know any better and I went along with the induction. A day and a half in and still no baby. I ended up with a c-section due to failure to progress.

With my second, and I'm going to be painfully honest here, the harderst part was laying there and hearing him not cry for about 20 minutes. I felt like I was going to die.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• With my first...it was the unknown. I'd never done it before, obviously and didn't know what to expect. That and putting in the epidural.

With my second...it was finding a baby sitter. Seriously. He was induced, I'd already been through it once and knew that once they broke my water, it would be over fast. (it was...they hooked up the drip, broke my water and in 2 1/2 hours it was over.

With my third...again babysitter. That and he decided to come on his own at 36 weeks. Fifteen hours later (26 minutes after they broke my water) there he was. There was some initial worry on my part because he was early...but all was well and he went home with me.

I really didn't mind delivery. I hated being pregnant, though. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• with my first it was the fact that i was told that my baby was too weak to survive birth, then not getting to hold her cause they took her right away to work on her, it was more than an hour before they told me she was alive.
    my second it was knowing that if he did survive birth, he would not live. it's hard to birth a baby that you know will not live.
    my third it was the crowning, birthing a 9lb 5oz baby naturally after the first 2 were less than 3 pounds. OUCH! i was not expecting that.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My first was hard because I was in hard labor for 4 DAYS. That was the hardest.
    My second was a breeze compared to the first. But my whole pregnancy was hard because I had a miscarriage two months before I got pregnant with Alivia and I was scared the whole time that something was going to happen to her and I would lose another baby. But she is here and healthy and perfect.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The hardest part was the going through the pain without an epi. It was given to me twice and I could still feel a little pain, and the other hardest part was pushing. I was pushing when I wasn't supposed to be and then not pushing when I was told to. The pain was all worth it, but I won't do it again.
    jsmommy08

Answer by jsmommy08 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I bled badly afterwards & that scared me. The nurse was doing "massage" & that was worse than having the unmedicated birth.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009