how to deal with in-laws

My mother in-law favors my son, and not my daughter. I'ts very noticable. Sometimes my daughter does not want to go, when they will be visiting her. I feel bad for my daughter.

Rachel24517

Asked by Rachel24517 at 2:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• It hurts when people favor one child (or gender) over the other. You may want to bring this up to your mil (alone) and see what she says. Don't accuse her but maybe you could suggest that she spend a day alone with your daughter. If it keeps happening the best thing for you to do is to spend that alone time with your daughter when your mil is with your son. Good luck!
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Sadly, we had the same experience. My MIL liked my older son but not the younger. We talked to her about it and she made an effort to treat them equally after that. In your case, did your MIL have only sons and not daughters? If so, this could be why she is more drawn toward your son. And it would be what you could tell your daughter, that is isn't that she is unlikeable but that her grandma doesn't know how to relate to girls- but also have the talk with MIL. If it isn't that she had only sons, then I don't know what to suggest.

Answer by Bmat at 2:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would straight up tell them that they are favoring one child or another and its hurting your daughters feelings. if things still dont change after a visit or two of making them aware then I wouldn't let them see the kids. grandkids are a privilage not a right. It can be very hurtful to have grandparents treat you that way. Your daughter shouldn't have to constantly have her feeling hurt by them.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 2:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It happens all the time. Other kids turn out ok. She'll be fine. It will teach her how to cope in life when others don't want to be close. My grandmother used to tell me how much she didn't like me. It just made me stronger and determined to be a better person/grandmother than she was.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Im so sorry mama... i do feel ur pain and living it...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009