What is an African American to you?

To me...it could mean a person that was born in Africa and then came to America and is now an American citizen....If you are black and were born IN America...then you are American!!! Not African American....same goes with Mexican-Americans, Asian-Americans, European-Americans...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• They are Americans
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• OMFG! thank you! I feel this way and it makes me so mad. I am white, therefore no one calls me German American! I hate it when people call black peope african americans. Or brown people mexicans! THEY ARE AMERICANS! If everyone is equal americans, lets starrt treating everyone like equal amercans.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I feel the same way you do. When someone asks me I say I am American, not German Irish American. I was born in America, period.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I don't get what the big deal is. I don't see how it's hurting you or the next person. JMO navy-wife there are other things in this country that you should get mad over and I don't think this is one.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 2:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I completely agree with you. My child is black. She was born here, her father is from here and so were his parents. They were not born in Africa. I do not teach my child that she is African American, she is black. You associate that to where you were originally born and where you live now, not where ancestors from 100's of years ago came from. Who cares!
    Anonymous

• OMG thank you so much, I've always wondered why the hell it's African-American when they were born here in America! We always say if you were born in another country and decide to become a citizen of America you are now considered blank-American. So for example if you were born in Mexico you would be called Mexican-American. So why is it that every black person that is born gets the title African-American? If we're going by where our ancestors are from then we should all have a title in from of American, I should be Portuguese/Dutch/Italian-American! I sware I thought only me and my husband felt this way! Anytime we fill out an application and it ask for ethnicity we both put other and write in American! If you were born here then you are American, nothing else, end of story!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 2:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I am not mad about it but I do agree. born here...AMERICAN!! 'nuff said
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• An African American would be a person who was born in Africa then moved to America and became a citizen. Those people who are black and were born here are simply Americans.
    Anonymous

• I know am I a Polish, Dutch, German, Russian, Jewish, Irish and Swedish American? lol It gets a bit ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• A very good friend of ours parents are from Barbados. But people are always referring to him as African American. He corrects them with a sharp, "Actually, that would be Barbadian American... And you are?" Where he proceeds to guess their ethnicity. It's funny, yet proves the point.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2009