Cortizone shots for Carpal Tunnel?

I was just diagnosed with carpal tunnel and don't know the severity of it yet. My dr. said that depending on how bad it is I have the option of coritzone shots in my wrist or jump right to surgery. I am wondering if anyone else who has CP has done the shots and if you felt they were/are being effective? I was told by someone who received them for his back that they helped at first and over time they became ineffective. Thanks!

Babs310

Asked by Babs310 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Health

• I have CP both hands. The first, most important thing I will tell you is don't wait. I fooled around, and waited so long to seek treatment for mine that I have permanent nerve damage. I have done both the shots and the surgery. The shots worked well, but it was for only a few weeks. With my second hand that was fine. We did the shots while waiting for the surgery date. With my first(and worst) hand I was numb or in pain 24/7. I could not open a jar or even stir a pot for more than a minute. The releif was immediate. I was unnumb from anesthic after about 10 hrs and even though the surgery site itself was sore I was gloriously not numb or in pain like I had been. I wanted to knick myself for waiting so long. I have had no return of symptoms. I don't have to wear braces at night anymore. I encourage anyone with CP to seek immediate intervention.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2009