belly buttons??!!

I grew up with seeing outties as a RARITY. In fact I had never seen an outtie until I was 14 & a guy playing basketball with no shirt on had one. But now that I am a mom, my dd has one, my friends kids have them & ive seen them on kids alot on CM (seems an innie is rare now)....
Do kids grow out of their outties as they age? or do we have a generation of outtie belly buttons? lol.
do you think belly buttons are inherited, or from how their umbilical cord was cut & cared for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Its about cutting and healing. Possibly the causes of seeing so many more "outies" are

-more access to seeing that area than before (belly baring is common now)
    -since your kid has one, you just notice other kids' more (like when you buy a new car and then see it all over the roads)
    -since we are letting umbilical stumps heal naturally (as opposed to increasing healing time by drying the stump with alcohol) that gives the stump more time to heal from the inside out (causing the stump not to retract as that part is healing first)

Either way, belly buttons are so cute!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I was told that belly button, innie -outie, was caused by the way that they umbilical cord was cut and how it healed.
    I have 2 young children and both have innies.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 2:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My middle daughter has one that is like half innie/half outie. As a baby she had an umbilical hernia that gave her an outie. It finally started to heal when she was about 18 months old but only on the one side so it looks really weird, lol. She doesn't seem to notice. All my other kids have innies.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2009