photography question!??!

How do I bounce light with a pop up flash? Also how do I diffuse the flash. And what back grounds do you use and would recommend.

amber325

Asked by amber325 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• To diffuse it, simply take a piece of tissue paper and tape it over the flash for an easy diffuser. As for bounicng, it can't really be done. Bouncing is aiming the flash as the wall or ceiling and letting it bounce of the surface and onto the subject. A pop up flash is stationary and can't be angled. I have heard of trying to use an index card to try and bounce, but the pop-up flash is trypically not strong enough to really do well that way. I would recommend going ahead and buying a external flash if you are shooting with a slr camera. As for backgrounds, basic black is a great starter. White is reallly pretty and versatile, but if not lit correctly, it shows up grey in photos. The trick to backgrounds is to use backdrops or backgrounds that aren't too busy. Start basic.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• There are great diffusers that you can buy for a pop-up flash. Paper works and is basically free, but I prefer a diffuser because it is simple to use, and lasts quite a long time. I have a diffuser that I bought from ebay that I really like. Do a search on ebay for CD-1000 diffuser. It may mention minolta but that is because it is based off of a genious design of Minolta. It is a universal diffuser and should work on any pop-up flash. They are sold out of Austrailia and mine came to about $10.65 with shipping in US dollars. It is a 'buy it now' item. It took about a week to a week and a half to get it which isn't bad for international shipping. I really like it and am thinking about buying a second as a backup. Compared to what they cost in stores, what I paid for this one is a steal. It is a great design. It has a huge front panel which really disperses the light very evenly. A great alternative to an external flash for now.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 1:50 AM on Mar. 5, 2009