what do I do about my 2 year old screaming?

I have a 2 year old daughter and I love her to death but I absolutely cannot stand her screaming. When she doesnt get her way she screams, when shes playing she screams, when shes tired she screams and its not the little 'ahhh' its the screechy drive you up a wall scream. I have tried time outs, speaking to her quietly (im a loud person when I talk) and punishments like no TV tonight unless you stop. Nothing is working and I really need help!

Merediths_Mommy

Asked by Merediths_Mommy at 2:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you could always try some ear plugs?
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Let her, she'll learn that it no longer bothers you so she'll turn to alternative things to annoy you, my son would do this and everytime he got a reaction out of us. Now we don't do anything and he's stopped, he now just whines but we're working on that! LOL
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 2:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My dd has just learned that scream on a level that I fear can break our windows! I hope she grows out of it soon. I think its something they all kinda go through.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Well, the delayed punishments like no TV tonight if you don't stop won't work. By the time "TV time" comes around, she won't remember that she was screaming earlier.
    The best thing I've found is still to deny attention. Simply cover your ears, frown, and softly say "I'd really like to play with you but your loud voice hurts my ears", then turn around and walk away. She gets very little reaction from you and then loses your attention.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Is it possible she is just copying you? You said you speak loudly, too.
    My daughter is 3 and she is very loud. I've taught her about the importance of using an inside voice versus using an outside voice. When we're in quieter places, like the library, she uses her 'library' voice.
    As far as yelling or screaming when she doesn't get her way, I just tell my daughter to use her words. If she doesn't then I ignore her until she does use them. It works for us.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 3:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You speak loudly, therefore, that's what she's going to do. It could also be a phase. My daughter did it, and after ignoring her screaming for a couple of days, she stopped.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009