Almost 6 year old having hard time at school.

His teacher says he messes around in class, doesn't use his time wisely and is getting behind in his work. I am heartbroken and don't know what to do. Please help!!
What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you asked him why he is having a hard time?
    Anonymous

• Any parent is allowed to visit their child's classroom. If I were in your shoes, I would sit and observe what he is doing, and seriously have a parent-teacher conference to see how to address it. You might have to take priveleges away from him until he settles down.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 2:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• We have parent-teacher conferences next Thursday. The problem is...I didn't know he was having such a hard time in class until this morning. I wouldn't have even have found that out but I e-mailed her because he came home upset yesterday...she still hsdn't told me if anything happened.
    Anonymous

• I totally feel your frustration but things will get better with time. I have a 6 year old who is in kindergarten right now and he too messed around in class every day since the start. I would sometimes get notes home and/ or a phone call. This may sound odd what I did really worked and still is. I came up with a color system for the teacher to put in his backpack everyday when coming home. There wasn’t a need for notes or phone calls just a color. It was either a green (good day), orange (some goofing around) or red (horrible day). The green got a very special reward, the orange would be one big chore and a red would be chores for the rest of the day. For me this is working out great. He gets very excited to tell me when he gets green. Perhaps it’s something to try. Good luck.
    Mom525

Answer by Mom525 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2009