My 13 year old son has always made a's and nothing below. This year he has made nothing but F's . I've took things away and called teacher's but nothing help's. He is so smart. What can be wrong and what more can I do?

krisieb

Asked by krisieb at 2:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Junior high is the worst and hardest time for a kid. I have 2 boys, 12 and 13. One in 7th and one in 8th. I also have a HS freshman age 14. Going from sitting in one class a day with the same teacher and students, to moving around in multiple classes, multiple teachers, etc. is VERY hard to get adjusted too. Also the load of homework given to kids these days is absolutely ridiculous. They think these kids are in college or something. It is so overwhelming. On top of that, their hormones are changing they are feeling things they never felt before and don't know why or how to handle it. Needless to say, kids at this age are harsh and mean if you don't "fit in" with them. Give your kid a break. Don't be so hard on him. Work with him, talk with him. My boys sometimes don't want to talk and sometimes they don't shut up, so you gotta know when to play your card. You child is going through what most kids their age do.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 2:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Is he doing drugs??? I would sneak search his room and start snooping around. That's what I would do.
    Anonymous

• honestly could be a cry for attention or the wrong friends or even drugs or sex .. you will just have to talk to him and see what is going on get him to tel you
    Anonymous

• I would look into this a lot more!! Something is seriously wrong!!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Has he had any major changed this year, such as a new school? Is he a freshman in highschool or is he in 8th grade? Either way there are big pressures for each grade, and he may be feeling the effects of it and instead of dealing with the pressure he may just be blowing it off. Instead of talking to the teachers I would talk to the school guidance counselor for advice on how you should respond to his actions.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You need to find out what is going on in school regarding friends and if there is one a girlfriend. My son is also 13 and though he was never an A student, his behavior deteriorated when he started hanging out with some of the boys in our neighborhood.Your son may be trying to impress his friends by flunking in school because they couldn't care less about their schooling either. I took extreme measures for my son, by sending him to his dad's for 2 years of schooling, and let me tell you his whole demeanor has reverted back to the kid I used to know before those other kids got their hooks into him.I wish you lots of luck in this matter, just know you aren't alone and if you want to talk just pm me any time.

BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009