Heavy period...tmi

I am so sick of having a heavy period every month. I go through a super-plus tampon every 2 hrs for a couple of day and every 3-4 hours for a couple more, then it tapers off to what I would consider normal for a couple more days. I'm tired of having to wear a tampon and a pad because I never know when the dam will break! Does anyone know if there's anything that can be done? I'd rather not go on birth control because I don't like the thought of artificial hormones, but is that my only option?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Health

• Several years ago, I had an in-patient procedure done called an ablation, the Novasure procedure.
    http://www.novasure.com/
    It was one of the BEST things I ever did for myself. My periods were heavy. SO heavy, that I could NOT, and I do mean NOT stand up, because of the amount of blood and clotting I would lose. When I slept, I could not turn over, because of the leakage factor. It was awful.
    (I do apologize for any gross factor, I don't think it can be said any other way.)
    There were times when the clots were larger than a kidney (and not a kidney bean). It was absolutely horrendous.
    I would do that procedure again in a heartbeat, if I had to. Thank goodness I don't. After almost 7 years, my periods are so light. I still get mood swings and PMS, but I will NEVER EVER have to double up on my pads or go heavy duty again!
    Kimmp

Answer by Kimmp at 4:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If you haven't already, get checked by a gynecologist. There may be something that could be fixed with a small surgical procedure. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 3:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My neighbor had a surgical procedure called ablation. She was like you and bled like a stuck pig 20 to 25 days out of 30 and I mean heavy bleeding to the point that she would have to change clothes. I'm not sure how it was done (laproscopy or vaginal), but she swears by it. It might be something to mention to your doctor. Good luck.
    haroldswife

Answer by haroldswife at 3:50 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Ugh - that doesn't sound like fun. But at least there's hope for a normal period. I'll talk to my doctor at my next annual. Guess I need to check when I'm due! Thanks, everyone.
    Anonymous