• In the Spotlight:

Why am I so down in the dumps about this?

You would think that I'd be happy to be having my baby shower Saturday. My DH and I know that we will be buying most of the things we need and we don't have a problem with that. We've already bought several things, like the bed, mattress, some clothes and diapers. DH told me that I shouldn't expect too many people to come to the shower and that I should start making a list of the things we still need. I went on to our Target registry and there have been 4 things bought. I sent out almost 30 invitations, and the shower is in 3 days. I am thinking that he was right. I know not everyone buys from registry, but I figured there would be more things bought from it. I am not trying to sound greedy, I just think that is proof that no one is coming. And it hurts my feelings that they don't want to share in our joy. So why am I so depressed about something that should be a happy event?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• OMG you sound a lot like me! I'm really excited for my shower (also this Saturday) but more because my friend is throwing it for me and she's poured herself into it. I have a terrible history with parties, especially ones I throw myself. People just forget or don't show even when they said they would. Don't even get me started on my wedding. So of course I'm trying really hard not to get my hopes up too high :)

I wouldn't worry about the registry I know I'm pretty terrible about marking off what I bought off of it when I do. A lot of people might have bought you something else not on your registry or are giving you gift card instead.

I don't really have any advice, just know that I know just how you feel :)

Congrats by the way :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 4:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Hmmm ... I had three children, and only with the last did I have anything like a baby shower - it was acquaintances from my older kids' school. If it were me, I would be listing in my head what I've had to eat in the last day or two to check whether I haven't had enough whole grains or beans or brewer's yeast, because lack of B vitamins can create a depressed feeling which you then attach to some outer situation. ... just a thought.

As an encouragement (and probably stating the obvious), you can keep in mind that these are hectic times for a lot of people, as well as financially tight. So ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• you cant look at the registry and tell. a lot of people get things from the registry but dont give the paper to the cashier so it shows that nothing is bought. yeah i thought the same thing until the day of my shower and i had a lot of things from my regisrty. dont be upset.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 3:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I was just like u but there was just one person out of 40 that got off my registry list and there was a lot of ppl at the shower more then I send out.
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 3:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Well, there are other stress factors going on right now. My FIL had a stroke at our house the other day (he's doing better but still in hospital) and my MIL and DH's family don't like me so I'm pretty sure they aren't coming. Just makes me feel like a big loser, and I don't know who is coming since no one has RSVP'd. :(
    Anonymous

• Has anyone told you they were coming, besides doing the RSVP thing? Just wondering, cuz several people just told me in advance that they'd come to one of mine. Some showed up and some didn't but no one bothers to call any more if they aren't coming.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Don't look at your registery to see how many people are coming. My registry only had like 5 things on it that showed bought but I had over 30 people at my shower.

Anonymous

• Thanks! I appreciate that!
    Anonymous

• Yes, quite a few have said they will come, but some of them are pretty flaky when it comes to doing something nice for someone else...
    Anonymous