Wow...schools sure have changed!

..since I was in school. I graduated high school in 2003...Not that long ago...but I was looking at schools in the district and the middle school I went to for 8th grade (where my kids will go) has changed sooo much....They now have uniforms (I think all middle schools do now) but these were things that they do no allow at school...

Other prohibited items include: stereos, jam/boom boxes, DVD/CD or mp3 players, video games, toys, cards of any type, candy from home, sunflower seeds, inhalants, “white-out”, aerosols (hairspray and antiperspirant/deodorant (solid sticks are ok)), evaporative markers with obvious fumes (non-toxic label is allowed), etc.

CANDY??? SUNFLOWER SEED? SPRAY DEODORANT?? Some of the other things I can see banning. This is just insane!

Briyawna

Asked by Briyawna at 3:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• spray deodorant can be used as a weapon. among other rotten things to be done with it, when my brother was in middle school some students took some sun chips and sprayed them with deodorant then gave them to him to eat. he couldn't smell it because he has a chronic stuffy nose.. long story short, he hates axe deodorant now.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 3:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Kids can come up with some pretty horrible things to do with some seamingly normal items.

I dont personally know what those 3 things you named do. But they probably combine them to eat and get high or something. just kidding lol
    Anonymous

• I bet they are all there because they have had a problem with them in the past. Our school doesn't allow music groups so no Hannah Montana anything. People wanted to argue that, but they aren't going to look into every music group to see if they are a good influence so they say no to all. I bet the kids inhale deoderant and spit sunflower seeds on the floor. Sometimes they make drugs to look like candy so its easier to just ban it. IDK just a thought.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yup, it seems insane, but as a long time middle school teacher, please believe me that all of those items have legitimate reasons for being on the list. Inhalants (like white-out) can kill kids who concentrate and inhale the fumes. Spray deodorant and perfume has become a serious problem because kids are dowsing their classmates against their will, and triggering allergic reactions in people who are sensitive to chemicals. We've banned permanent markers because we had 10 bomb-threats written on the walls last year. We've outlawed flip-flop shoes because a student tripped down the stairs when someone stepped on the back of her flip-flop, and she broke her pelvis. We don't allow iPods or MP-3 players because they get stolen and the school cannot be responsible for replacement costs. We don't allow cell-phone use during school because they have been used to cheat on tests.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• To continue - We don't allow cell phones to be used during school because we've had children sending photos of their genitalia to other students. We've tried to initiate uniforms because our kids wear pants that hang under their butts, or the girls wear clothing that would embarrass a Times Square prostitute. I had a thirteen year-old girl who had to go home for the day because her new TATTOO was oozing and sticking to her panties...her PANTIES!
    It's crazy, and it seems like we've lost our minds here in the education field, but as the world grows more complex, we have to stay on top of the latest things to insure that our students can focus on their educations while they are with us. The distractions are constant, some highly technological, and ever changing.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• See - I'm good with the changes.

Why would a kid need deodarant at school anyway?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Kids are getting worse. They have to implement these rules because essentially, there is no parenting going on. Young parents refuse to do anything that is uncomfortable to them such as discipline or telling their children NO.
    Anonymous

• Additionally - I work in a school with an average middle to low income demographic. We are in a suburban area, and by no means an inner-city school.
    Jodie118

Answer by Jodie118 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Jodie 118 you are exactly right! I have had the clothing issue in my daycare....yes, I said daycare.
    Anonymous

• I actually read a report of a grade school that had banned all sweets. The cafeteria served no sugary desserts and students were banned from bringing them. Birthday parties and other celebrations in the classrooms were free of sugary snacks.
    Know what? The kids adapted. Grades and attendance went up. Discipline problems and waist lines went down. The kids now ASK to have broccoli more often.

As for this particular ban - my guess is that some drugs can be disguised as candy and it's part of the general war on keeping kids drug free.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2009