Why did Obama call Afghanistan the Good War?

Just got a call from my husband. 5 guys in his batallion have been killed. They got there the last week in January. He has been to Iraq 2 times and say Afghansitan is way worse. What is so good about Afghanistan?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Link please. I would like to read the story to see what did President say.

Afghanistan is way more worse then Iraq . We should not let it go so bad. Now the only thing to do is try to make things OK.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 3:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Tristina I am the OP. I don't have a link. That is why I am asking?

My husband keeps saying with sarcasm toward Obama. He says he and his guys can't believe Obama called this the good war.
    Anonymous

• He didn't call it the good war, he called it the right war. And if he did call it the good war in something I missed, I apologize, but he meant right. And he said that because Afghanistan was directly linked to 9/11 and Al Queda. Iraq is the war that we were convinced to fight because of half-truths, out right lies, and political reasoning and the one that sucked up a huge chunk of change.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I understand you OP. Russians were there for a long,long time without ever winning.

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 3:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/2008/12/afghanistan_is/

I found this if it helps at all. It doesn't state the Obama said those direct words though
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yeah, not surpisingly a conservative has taken something our president said out of context. It doesn't say that he said that, you and your husband are the ones that made that up. It must suck not to have any real facts to hold against him. Maybe you should re-think your stance so you can actually have information rather than whiny rhetoric to back you up.
    Anonymous

• If he said it I don't think he meant it like "Yay, good, fun war in Afghanistan!" but more like we should be in Afghanistan where Bin Laden is said to be instead of Iraq which had nothing to do with 9/11.

As a fellow military wife I'm sorry to hear about the guys in your husbands battalion.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 4:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Answered at 4:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Yeah, not surpisingly a conservative has taken something our president said out of context. It doesn't say that he said that, you and your husband are the ones that made that up. It must suck not to have any real facts to hold against him. Maybe you should re-think your stance so you can actually have information rather than whiny rhetoric to back you up.
    ----------
    I am Op. Please do not hate on me. I am just asking a question. I never heard it before. I guess I could have asked better, but I was a little shaken up. I came onto CM to my military support group and thought I would post here for answers. Not everyone is out to get another side. Some are just looking for answers during a hard time.
    Anonymous

• Because we never should have left Afghanistan for Iraq in the first place. Had we stayed in Afghanistan, with the troop numbers we needed, it would not be the disaster it has turned into. But instead we went to fight in Iraq, putting the majority of the troops there and pretty much abandoning Afghanistan.
    Anonymous

• I understand what you mean. My husband is military an d will probably have there himself. I have heard also that it is pretty bad. Sorry you are getting angry replies from those who may not have read all of the posts you made. I can understand where Obama is coming from. I agree with fiveofakind up there. Obama is just trying to get us on the right track.
    Anonymous