Could calcium deposits in my childs heart chambers really be a marker for downes syndrome?

I went for my ultrasound at 19weeks and 5 days to find out boy or girl.along with finding out im having a boy, they seen calcium deposits in the chambers of his heart.The doctor told me this is a marker for downes syndrome.There are no known relatives on either side of the family with downes.Could it be something else? I took the neural tube defect test to find out but havent been told the results yet.If the tests come back negative, do the deposits go away or what happens then?

brittoh

Asked by brittoh at 4:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It CAN be but it's NOT definate.

My best friend's son had protien markers on his heart. They sent her to a specialist and monitored her pregnancy carefully. He is now 3 and perfectly healthy and "normal", if there's a such thing. lol

They recently rechecked him and the markers are gone. He'll be 4 this summer.
    Anonymous

• That is a deep ?. Your doc or people who have kids w/ Down's may know.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The only way to know at this stage for sure if he may have Down Syndrome is an amnio. The Neural Tube test is a screening...there is no positive or negative. It will give you the odds of having a baby with Down, but it's usually done (and more accurate) at 12 weeks (if it's the one of which I'm thinking).
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• http://www.pregnancy-info.net/QA/answers-Calcium_deposit_in_the_fetus_s_heart/
    there is a link where another mother had the same problem, however, there are also other mothers who have answered back who have had the same markers...
    My cousin is expecting a baby boy due next month, her baby has fluid in the kidneys, and her doctor told her it was a for sure marker for DS (Down Syndrom)... however, when I brought it up to my doctor, he said that it didn't matter what the marker was, if there is only one marker for DS that he dont believe that it is a reason to be too concerned with. It may be marker for DS, but it doesn't mean that your beautiful baby will have it... If that is the only marker that your doctor has brought to your attention, then I wouldn't even worry about it...
    TheLaakSmith

Answer by TheLaakSmith at 4:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009