What do I do about my kids wieght?

My step-children are very over weight one is 9 yrs old and is 168.4 lbs! I want to help them get healthy but I don't know what to do, I have never been a mom before and want to approach this the right way. please help

NewStepMom77

Asked by NewStepMom77 at 4:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• You have to just promote a healthy life style. Don't mention weight just talk about nutrition. Serve healthy food with veggies. You could give normal portions and give seconds of fruits and veggies. Always keep fruits, veggies and yogurt, light cheese sticks. Get the other junk out of te house and make sure the whole family is on the health kick not just the kids. You can't deprive them of all junk so you can keep fruit snacks or gushers onhand for after dinner. or skinny cow ice cream. Get active as a family go for walks after dinner, start bike riding together, go to the pool and get a kick board and do laps side by side and limit tv.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• yes you do that is very very very unhealhty and obese. i would call and a dr and a nutrtionslist and have them out them on a diet. they will, call your dr, and they can have you see a nutrionslit. i would buy all healthy stuff, veggies, whole wheat, chicken, ect, nothing fried, white sugar, pizza, ect ect. they need to loose weight for their health, good luck. call the dr today and ask to see a nutrionsit, in the meantime don't buy junk.
    Anonymous

• Before you do anything, you need to make this a joint effort and get dad in on it.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Get rid of the junk food and let them eat only healthy foods like fruit and veggies for snacks. Make them play outside and run and be kids instead of letting them sit in front of the tv for hours.
    Anonymous

• well i guess you could just do your part and do all the "donts", if the mother doesnt care to follow through, the least you could do is make sure your not doing what she's doing and hope that the kids will want to follow through with the healthier choices as they get older.

if there's fast food going on, dont take them out.
    if they are homebodies, walk alot or play alot outside
    if they dont like diets, at least offer homemade meals rather then fast food places
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Well my soon to be husband Matthew has full custody but the kids see their mother on 3 weekends a month, she will not follow any diet nor does she care but Matthew wants help for his kids and asked me to help, so that's why i came to you guys I think this will be the best jumping off point.
    NewStepMom77

Answer by NewStepMom77 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2009