My daughter has had an off and on fever of 102.1 since yesterday afternoon, any suggestions on what to do?

I've been giving her Infant's Tylenol and I've given her a bath. I even tried rubbing her down with alcohol, a few gf's from work suggested that one. I just read something about a soaked rag in cologne and cold water on the forehead, does that really help? I don't know if I could make it to the University hospital with my P.O.S. car and I could not reach her doctor's office for the life of me today. Please if you have any suggestions at all, send them my way. Thanks everyone.

MBraswell

Asked by MBraswell at 4:13 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://www.ehow.com/how_4562185_break-a-fever.html
    LKRA

Answer by LKRA at 4:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• ive heard a slice of onion or potato at the bottom of the sock or under the pit is supposed to drain the fever... u should realli rty 2 get 2 a dr. they shouldnt have a fever longer thn a day. it could be a sign of somethin else being wrong. GL ;(
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 4:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Tylenol never works for my kids...give her Children's Motrin...works every time for me :)
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 4:20 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have never heard that about the onion or potato! Neat!

Also, I would try to get her to the doctor, too. Do they not have voice mail where you can leave a message?
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 4:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• it's an onion, not a potato, put it inside the sock and leave it there overnight.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• How old is your daughter? Does she have any other symptoms? What type of thermometer are using and where are you using it? And last question, I promise, what do you mean by off and on?
    halfpintscot

Answer by halfpintscot at 5:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Wow 102.1 is really high you need to take her to the ER or to her doctor.
    VERONICACP

Answer by VERONICACP at 5:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• She's a year old and has sniffles and coughs. I am using both the ergonometer (something like that) on the forehead and behind the earlobe and regular thermometer in the rectum. Her fever kept dropping and coming back.

I just took her to Norton Immediate Care and they said if her temp had risen above 102 that I needed to take her to the ER. But she is fine, she has a little virus that should pass and she will have a fever. BUt they want her to come back if she becomes lethargic. Thanks for all the advice though! =)
    MBraswell

Answer by MBraswell at 8:36 PM on Mar. 4, 2009