about bail bonds..

long story short..we payed 10% ..($300)

If my fil misses his court date, and doesnt report back to the police, how much are we stuck paying? Besides money, can we lose anything else? What do we do from here???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you would have to pay all of it. Should never co sign for anyone on any thing. You can revoke the bond if you don't trust him to go.

Anonymous

• ok you paid 10% of 300 or the 10% was 300. you will be expected to pay all the money that the bail bondsman paid on your fil. there will be a warrant placed for his arrest. you cant lose anything else unless you put property/or the house up for collateral (sp?) you can message me if you have any more questions.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• In most states, you could lose your home! They need to either take him back to jail or get the money paid!
    Anonymous

• You'll owe the full amount of the bond. You can only lose something if you put it up as collateral. If you told the bondsman that you would use your house or car to pay the full amount, then he can take that thing. I believe he can take a lein against your home or something if you can't pay the full amount, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If he takes a lein, you won't lose the home or car, it just means that when you sell it, the amount you owe him will come off the top before you get any profit, and he'd have to sign off, giving the ok for you to sell that item.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If 300 was your 10% then you'll owe $3000 minus the 300 already paid. As the cosigner you reserve the right to revoke the bond at anytime. All you have to do is call the bondsman.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• so is it too late to revoke..if my husband already co signed, and fil has a warrent issued against him?

The $300 was the 10 % of the bond amount..im scared to even do the math.
    God is with me. There is no way we can get through this without Him.
    Anonymous

• and then what happends...FIL end up paying right? We wont have to?..
    by the way , thank you ladies..youve been alot of help..
    Anonymous

• All he has to do is put himself back on the courts calender aand go to court and you still pay the same amount. At least thats how it works in California.
    Jrsmom2

Answer by Jrsmom2 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I'd make sure I knew what time and day his court date is. I would make sure your husband is there to get him to the courthouse on time.
    Anonymous