How to explain grammer to a child?

I need help on explaining to my 6 year old what verbs, prepositions, and pronouns are. Any helpful tips are appreciated.

Da1nOnlyDestiny

Asked by Da1nOnlyDestiny at 4:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• A pronoun takes the place of a noun. A prepostion is a word that introduces a phrase. A verb is an action word.
    pronoun; he, they, it and so forth, instead of James, the cheerleaders, and the ball.
    on, over, of, to, in, etc: In a prepostional phrase there is the preposition and an object.
    verbs: think, do, run, is, etc.
    I think as far as teaching a child, I'd give him a bunch of sentences and work with him on identifying which parts of speech the words are. Start with the most simple- The dog ran across the field. He ran across the field. The vase sat on the table.

It sat on the table. pronoun, verb, prepostional phrase with "on" as the preposition.

Answer by Bmat at 4:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Find the School House Rock videos!!!

Or am I the only one old enough to remember them.....??
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Schoolhouse Rock! My kids have watched the dvd, and have the Schoolhouse Rock games for their Leapsters and they know all of the parts of speech. The other way id doing Mad Libs. My First Grader LOVES to do Mad Libs. The other day he asked me "Mom, why do the never ask for prepositions in Mad Libs? The ask you for verbs, nouns, adjectives and adverbs, but never prepositions. Why mom?"

Another good one for learning prepositions is that a preposition is something an airplane can do to a cloud (over, under through in, on etc.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My kids and I played games, one of which was when I would say something, I would ask what was the verb, pronoun, etc...they never knew when I was going to ask. They would ask me the same question when they were done talking. They learned very quickly.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 9:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009