I am being induced for medical reasons tomorrow.

What can I expect? My doctor was doing an exam on me today and said I was 3cm dilated and 70% effaced and said something about stripping the membranes a little? What does stripping the membranes mean? He said I may go into labor tonight from the exam but to go into the hospital at five thirty tomorrow for pitocin and then they will break my water at nine thirty.

I guess my questions are what does he mean by slight stripping of the membranes? How can I possibly go into labor from an exam (I have had more BH now since the exam)? and what can I expect tomorrow and does anyone have any advice?

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not exactly sure of what stripping the membranes actually does, but I guess its suppose to bring on labor a little more, I don't know. They did it w/ me and yes I had more contractions afterward. I was induced w/ my son, and just remember being in pain. Sorry, I don't mean to scare you, but you will be uncomfortable. I hear the contractions are a lot stronger and worse when you are induced. Best thing to do if you are willing to, is take the epidural as soon as you can't take it anymore. I waited forever before I finally gave in, and honestly wish I would've gotten it sooner. I'm sorry if I scared you in anyway, but just didn't want to lie to you. Good luck, and congrats!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I had my membraines stripped once a week for 3 weeks and it did nothing. Basically they go up and run their finger around the inside of your cervix to try to get things moving. Doesn't work most of the time. I was induced with my son. Unfortunately I didn't progress and ended up with a section after 28 hours. When I went in they put me on all the monitors and drew blood. Checked my cervix and gave me a pill in my cervix to make me dialate. I was about >1 cm when they induced me (41 weeks). Then they started me on pitocin to get contractions going. Once they were good and I was 3/4 cm they broke my water (this didn't hurt at all, but by then I think I had my epidural.) Then you just continue like normal labor. It can take a while though so take something to read or do to keep you busy, I took my laptop as the hospital had free wifi and I played on the net and played games till things started to progress. Good luck!
    JackJacksMomma

Answer by JackJacksMomma at 4:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• hahahaha No scares. I realize it will be painful.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 7:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2009