A question for SAHMs :)

How helpful is your husband around the house? After working full time do you expect him to?

My husband is helpful but it isn't because I expect him to be. I feel it is "my job" to keep up the house, buy groceries, take care of the kids (for the most part) dinner, laundry etc. Is it done perfectly.....NO and he doesn't expect it to be either. I am a home schooling mom FIRST to our 4 kiddos.

He plays with the kids, and helps with them at night. Please don't think he watches tv or plays video games.....actually he hates them both and we don't have them in our home! (small tv for videos but no channels)

So just curious how it works in other households :) How helpful are they?

pjacademy

Asked by pjacademy at 4:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm a homeschooling sahm and I take care of the house, but my husband steps in a does laundry in the mornings before work, starts the dishwasher, cooks - these are not things I ask or expect from him, he just does them anytime he has a second. He also does the kids' bathtime.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:55 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Very helpful he picks up things where I leave off. Even though I'm on leave right now things are 50/50 because that's what works for us. Sounds like you have a great family :)
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• my husband is helpful...I think more so now only cause I'm pregnant. I do expect him to do things around the house cause its HIS home too i.e. take care of it fixing it up doing repairs etc.
    Anonymous

• My husband doesnt do so much inside the house all of the time. If I need him to then yes he will. He helps me clean up after dinner, and sometimes will even cook, depending on what we are having. He does help w/ bathtime and stuff like that. He does do all the outside work tho. I really cant complain at all about it.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Not at all. And I could live with that if he would just pick up after himself. But he doesn't even do that much. If he takes it off, it lies there. If there is garbage, he won't put it in the trash. It either goes on the floor or on the table beside his recliner. I don't expect help with the house but I don't understand why he thinks I should have to be his personal maid. Even if I have spent all day cleaning, he makes no effort to put his own things away to "help" the cause. Now, that I'm expecting the twins and it causes literal pain to pick up, I do expect him to help more right now. I didn't decide to make these children on my own. But in general, he doesn't help. And while I don't expect him to clean a toilet, I do wish he could throw away his own empty gallon of milk when he finishes off the last drink.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 4:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Im a wahm and yes my dh does anything and everything I don't around to doing. He's great like that. On weekends he vaccuumes, sweeps, mops and does a bunch of stuff that is really hard on my back. Cleans out the tub and carries laundry from the basement for me. I don't expect it, it just happens that way. 50/50 works really well for us too.
    mom_wrhsc

Answer by mom_wrhsc at 4:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Anonymous -

Oh yea if its broken it becomes "his job"..........I don't think I could actually fix very much. He's the remodel guy he can fix ANYTHING lol!!!
    pjacademy

Answer by pjacademy at 4:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My DH is absolutely no help to me when it comes to helping out. He feels that he goes to work and pays the bills and that's all he has to do. I do everything from taking care of our LO to household duties to washing my own vehicle. If he picks up after himself he considers it doing me a favor. NO PURPOSE whatsoever aside from financially!
    Anonymous

• When I used to be a stay at home wife not mom, I would do everything but once we had our son that all changed. My husband understands that I as well have a full time job so he never gives me problems picking up. I cook and he cleans up afterwards. I bath the baby at night and he picks up the house befor bed. It all works out just fine in this house hold.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• very helpful (some times) IF he's awake he does help. He used to give the kids baths sometimes, do the dishes (once a week or so) and sweep up if he sees the mess first. He's GREAT about changing diapers. Lately he sleeps alot though.
    momof525

Answer by momof525 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009