Would you exchange your child for a foreign child as part of a high school foreign exchange program?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would need lots more details, but my knee jerk reaction without knowing anything (including what my kids will be like when they are teens!) is YES! What a great opportunity for all involved.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• assuming I knew all there was to know about the program and had no hesitations about it; then sure; as the pp said how cool for everyone! Think of the experience that will give your child to know what life is like outside the fishbowl of his neighborhood.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If it was a reputable program, etc, then yes I would. I would have *loved* to do a foreign exchange in HS.. but couldn't :( I did spend a lot of time in germany though so that was good.

I would obviously need to know about the program but I think it would be an amazing learning experience for everyone involved!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• NOPE....as a matter of fact my daughter was supposed to be part of an exchange program the end quarter of this school year....we changed our mind. I don't want either of my children outside of the U.S.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If my child wanted to, but if it wasn't their idea then no. As of right now, no because so many countries hate the US right now I would be scared that my child would be in danger. But in the past yes, and maybe even in the future but as of now, heck no.
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 4:41 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• yes yes. i was "exchanged" and it was awsome
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• (i was in germany)
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• When my boys were small we had three diffeent exchange students 3 consectutive years. Our Thai student is now married with her own child. She still calls us Mom and Dad and we email or talk at least 6 times a yr.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would totally do it!! It would be such an amazing opportunity for my dd!

Anonymous

• no ..i wouldnt do it because of the war and so many safety reasons
    freckles9399

Answer by freckles9399 at 6:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2009