how to prepare my 2yr old for a new baby?

I have a 21 month old daughter, and I am expecting a baby boy in july of this year. How can I prepare my daughter for the baby cause she is never really around other kids or babies.I dont want her to feel replaced,but I dont know ways to explain to her since she is so young.Is there anything I can do to get her prepared?

brittoh

Asked by brittoh at 4:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine are 2 yrs and 1 mo apart; and we didn't do anything "specific" to get ready. She already played with baby dolls and had the "pretend" mommying down so I just explained that mama was bringing a new baby sister home for her. Like it was "her" present; lol...

I got very lucky in that she didn't act out or seem jealous of the baby at all - I took care of what she needed and then got the baby or vice versa; if my hands were full at that moment I'd tell her I'd do whatever she needed as soon as I was done with xyz with the baby and she took that really well.

Congrats & GL!!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Get books on "new baby", get her a t shirt that says i'm a big sister. Also let her pick toys and clothes for the baby. When the baby is born get her a toy from the baby. You should also take her to play groups to be around other kids her own age.
    legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• get her a t shirt that says i'm a big sister

*****

We also did that - got her a shirt like that to wear to the hospital to meet the baby
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• We've been reading & talking about babies & my 21 month old knows I have a baby in my belly so he'll talk to the baby! Check with your hospital & see if it offers any courses for siblings (ours does but we aren't going to take it); and ask your doctor or midwife for suggestions too.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 6:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009