The Mothers Act...in Congress?

Does anyone know anything about this? What do you think? I think it's horrible and needs to be stopped. We have enough government interference in our lives as it is.

MOTHERS ACT BEING MARKED UP IN COMMITTEE -
TAKE ACTION AGAINST A BILL THAT VIOLATES INFORMED CONSENT: http://familyrights.us/news/archive/2009/march/mothers_act/

FOSTERING CONNECTIONS: http://familyrights.us/news/archive/2008/oct/bush_signs_fostering_connections_act.html

BRANDING PREGNANCY AS MENTAL ILLNESS: http://www.newswithviews.com/Richards/byron51.htm

PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO LOOK AT THESE! I really do what to hear your thoughts...and lets PLEASE keep it adult :) No bashing!

tandknix

Asked by tandknix at 5:01 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I sent this to my friend who is an ob/gyn and he says it's nuts and stupid. Enough said.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 5:07 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• The bill itself is nuts and stupid and shouldn't be passed or it's a bogus email and I should just delete it and not worry?
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 5:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Here is a link to the actual bill.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.3529.IS:

I don't see how it violates consent. The Mom will be screened at her post natal visits. She is willingly seeing the doctor and depression sometimes follows birth. I don't see why there would be a problem with a doctor talking to their patient, especially considering depression still has some stigma attached.

My sister suffered and I mean suffered from severe depression after the birth of her second child. I am thankful she was able to receive treatment, yes drugs. Once on the medication she recovered quickly and then was weaned off the meds and hasn't needed them since. All in all maybe 3-4 mos of treatment.

I do have a problem with the governement feeling a need to interfere once again.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It's still a huge violation to me. You are saying they should MAKE every mother across the country be screened for possible depression? I am sorry, but I can regulate myself when I am depressed. I don't need the government stepping in and telling me I have to get treatment. What happens if the mother refuses treatment?
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 5:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I myself suffered from depression after giving birth to my son, who is now six month old, my depression lasted about 4 months after giving birth and I was to the point where I was suicidal I wish someone would have informed me more about it, and directed me to get some help because while I am now fine being in that state of mind put my life in a lot of hell and while I never did get so bad that I had psychosis and could have possibly harmed my baby I am sure there are others out there who do get that bad, IMO Post partum depression is NOT a joke and needs to be addressed more than what it is currently so I do agree with this bill however I think it needs to be revised to where if the mother refuses anti-depression meds she can get some sort of counseling to help her through. Not to mention I think this will help save some babies lives also

hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:35 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Answered at 2:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 by: tandknix:
    It's still a huge violation to me. You are saying they should MAKE every mother across the country be screened for possible depression? I am sorry, but I can regulate myself when I am depressed.
    YOU maybe able to but there are lots of mother who can't or dont know how, and need that help and direction before hand
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thank you for the heads up ! I am faxing my cautionary protest to the numbers provided in your first link.

Didn't we do this a generation ago? ... And what was the result? The thalidomide children born with stunted arms & legs. Thalidomide was prescribed for depression - just like this piece of legislation is proposing. At least back then, it was only done by individual physicians - imagine what would have happened if it was a legislated nationwide program ... how many more babies would have been deformed ?

Of course, thalidomide was considered "safe" for pregnant women by the medical establishment, as were x-rays a generation before that ! (For this reason I was suspicious of all unnatural actions with my pregnancies & my babies - no amnio-centesis, sonograms, vaccines)

One also wonders how many of the recent stories of murdering and deranged mothers in the past decade are caused by the side-effects of these drugs
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:37 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• "YOU maybe able to but there are lots of mother who can't or don't know how, and need that help and direction before hand"

So they deserve to lose their children? Because you can almost guarantee that that's what will happen after this is passed. It's okay for a Dr. to notice and suggest it to a new mom, but for the government to step in and mandate it is beyond rational. It's all about the $$$...who is making it and who could be making more. If you think this is a good thing, then I am sorry that you haven't seen first hand how much "help" government funded agencies can really be and I pray that you never find out. I have posted a longer version in my group posting here: http://www.cafemom.com/group/33200/forums/read/8162116/The_Mothers_Act_in_Congress?last#last

PLEASE go read it.
    tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 5:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• AND EVERYONE WILLING...PLEASE GO SIGN THIS PETITION: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/stop-the-dangerous-and-invasive-mothers-act

tandknix

Answer by tandknix at 5:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• PLEASE! Enough with the online petitions - they don't do ANYTHING! If you want this stopped; PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE write your local; and state rep's in the house & congress; and ask everyone you know to do the same. That is the only way to actually make an impact...the gov't will do nothing based on an internet petition...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009