Do you answer the door when your not expecting anyone?

Say you are alone all day long, S.O is only home at night. It's just you and your very young children.
In the case of an emergency you would most likely get a call, or at the very least whomever was knocking would say it was an emergency.

Do you answer?

xrussianbabe02

Asked by xrussianbabe02 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would look out the window from a place where they wont notice me, and if I dont know who iy is..No, I dont answer...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• NO! Even if they said it was an emergency, I wouldn't answer the door.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Obviously, I meant if it was a stranger.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• No. My husband works 2 p.m. to 8 a.m. twice a week and I don't answer the door at all. Thankfully, though, I have a very loud black lab that probably scares everyone away. =)
    Anonymous

• ABSOLUTELY NOT! I currently live in what we thought was a great area for families. We were wrong. There is a lot of criminal activity going on right now cause all our ships at at sea. Anyway, they may say who they are, and that its an emergency, but you never know. I personally look through the window that is near my door, and ask for identification. But then maybe I am paranoid with all the stuff going on here.
    anorman08

Answer by anorman08 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I mean if it were a family member or friend they would say who they were and if it were an emergency. I don't answer for strangers. All that's left is sales people right? Who needs them?
    xrussianbabe02

Answer by xrussianbabe02 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• If it's UPS or FedEx I open the door - otherwise, no. My friends and family know they need to call before just showing up.

I live in small town America and feel safe, but I don't trust people. I'm home all day with small children and you just never know...
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 5:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I usually won't answer the door if I dont know who it is...just because it is usually some homeless person asking for money...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 5:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• we have people stop by our house all the time. so most of the time it is someone we know. but most of those people know to just come on in....lol. plus, i am never or VERY rarely here alone with the kids. my mil and fil live with us. their dog is tied up near the house and scares most people - even though he is little he is VERY loud. lol.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Yes, but DH and I have professionally sharpened swords (which we have trained to use) hanging on the wall next to the door, and I'm well trained in martial arts. Not to mention we also have some kabudo weapons on display (don't worry our kids aren't here yet LOL!) that I can also grab if needed. I have no fear in opening a door if need be.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 5:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009