How can I get my 2 year old potty trained?

She absolutly refuses to use the potty. She is smart as a whip too. She is over advanced and yet she wont potty train. Help I a TIRED of diapers.

nevaehsmommy006

Asked by nevaehsmommy006 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hello nevaehsmommy006!
    I had trouble potty training too. They can be the smartest child in the world and still have trouble with the potty.
    Don't waste your time or money on videos or books they just from my experience just don't work.
    I had my daughter fully potty trained and then she stopped. But I made some changes on how I did it and so far it's working!
    All that I did was stuck a sticker chart in the bathroom and every time that she goes potty she gets a sticker, I also put her favorite toys on a high shelf in the bathroom when she went she got them back. She also has her favorite shows that I let her watch if she goes. She from time to time if she goes all day she gets a sweet treat and so far ALL of this has worked. Especially the stickers. She gets really excited about them. Oh and one more thing. Praise praise praise. That helps too.
    I hope that that helped.
    Holly
    beccasmomabcd

Answer by beccasmomabcd at 10:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My kids were fully potty trained at 19 months and 14 months all I did was be consistant with it but it also makes it hard if you work
    Anonymous

• I recently trained my 20 month old son using the Naked & $75 method by Dr. Rosemond. You should dedicate about a week at home with your child. The basics are you let them run around naked from the waist down (or at most with regular underwear) and leave a small potty readily accessible for them. Your child will feel & see what happens when he pees/poops and won't like it, then you can show them to avoid that feeling they need to use the potty. I know this method sounds messy (and believe me it is) but it works! It only took 4 days for my son to learn how to use the potty. He still uses a diaper overnight, but otherwise is completely potty-trained. We'll be moving on to ditching the nighttime diaper when we move him into a big boy bed next month. Hope this helps!
    tvs3699

Answer by tvs3699 at 6:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• use a little potty and no diapers and spend at least 3-4 days home with no distractions for you so you can be on top of everything
    Missy_Dye

Answer by Missy_Dye at 6:28 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• In my opinion, I don't believe in forcing a child to become potty trained, which is what the above moms have basically done. THIS IS ALL IN MY OPINION. DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T READ ANY FURTHER. I have three children. 9 years old, 6 years old, and 30 months. My 9 year old was fully potty trained at 2 years old. With him, he was wetting less so we introduced him to pull ups and showed him what the potty was for. He did the rest on his own. My 6 year old still wets the bed every now and then at night, but is taking DDAVP to reduce that. Otherwise, he was potty trained by 3 years old, by doing the same method as my oldest son. My daughter still wets quite a bit during the day, and has no interest in the potty. She has three potty chairs, and a seat for the toilet. We've tried pull ups with her and told her what they're for, and showed her, but she's not interested.

I think children will potty train when they're ready.
    Anonymous