was it early contractions/braxton hicks/ something else??

Yesterday I went to the docs and she checked my cervix, and she said I was about 30% effaced or whatever its called. She said I might have light contractions due to what she did. After I left the hospital I did get these tight feelings in my stomach that kind of hurt, but it was only about once an hour. Later that day I went shopping with some friends. We walked around for about 6 hours at the mall and other little shops. During the entire 6 hours, I had this pretty painful feeling in my lower tummy. My stomach got all hard and tensed up for like 3 seconds, and it happened about once every half hour. But then when I got home, they stopped. It never got worse.
Im just wondering what it was. Could it have been from me just walking around, or was it just the braxton hicks thing, perhaps from what the doc did, or something else?

btw, i'm 37 weeks tomorrow. Thanks for your help!!

xoJessyxo

Asked by xoJessyxo at 5:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sounds like braxton hicks, sometimes normal after getting checked, also could be cuz you were walking alot
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• congratulations!! Isn't it the best?!?

It happened to me sometimes when i was PG its normal. YOull know when you go into labor! They'll get closer and closer (like minutes away from each other and the pain wont go away) You can always call your doctor and get checked! (I wasn't efaced at all when i went into labor!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Braxton and Hicks contractions will go away with walking or that sort of thing. Regular contractions will continue like you said they were and usually increase in pain. That's pretty much how you can tell the difference. It is very typical that checking the cervix will cause contractions and sometimes will put you into labor, at the end. Which seems about right, where you are.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• That happened to me yesterday. I was out walking and got a really bad cramp. It didn't go away with more walking but stopped once I got home. I'm 39 wks.
    Anonymous