How do I break my baby from sleeping with me?

My husband was worried when she was sick. So he brought her to our bed. I had let her sleep with me since my husband works to late in the evening. Now she is 10 m and she refused to sleep away from me. During the day, she sleeps fine without me, but at night that's a screaming battle. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let her cry it out? Make sure she's well fed and that she's had enough to drink and that you've changed her diaper. We leave a light on for about 2 minutes after we put our son to sleep. I always tuck him in and give him a kiss....so tell her that you love her. Rub her hair. Sing her a song- tell her you'll be there when she wakes up- and then head to your room. She may cry the first few nights...but I imagine that she'll be fine soon enough.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:25 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I have to disagree. I don't believe in crying it out... but then again, I also don't mind my son sleeping with me and my husband at night. There are a TON of books out there you can read... I recommend Dr. Sears. But just do a search and you can find a ton of information about different ways to go about it.
    ChristinaM85

Answer by ChristinaM85 at 6:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• We were in the same boat with my son. Since he was nursing and always was used to sleeping next to me my DH stepped in and took over transferring him into the crib. It that is a possibility for you I would definitely try it. Then what we did is a bedtime routine and then my DH would put him in the crib. He would sit next to the crib and hold his hand or rub his back until he fell asleep. After a few nights of that he would sit next to his crib, but he wouldn't touch him just sit next to his crib with his head down and didn't respond to his crying. Then everyday he would get further and further away from the crib. If he woke during the night we would let him cry for 5 min. then the next time 10 min. the next 15 ect. If he didn't stop my DH would go into the room and soothe him to sleep by rubbing his back or sitting on the floor of his room. It took a while but it worked great for us. cont.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:05 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• cont. It is a version of CIO that worked for us. If we left him alone to CIO he would stay up for 1 each time and just make himself hysterical. This way seemed more soothing and calming and worked awesome for us. Hope this helps.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:06 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• We let our kids sleep with us till they weaned themselves form it. There was no battle and all of us were happy with the transition.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:33 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I was really worried that my daughter would NEVER sleep alone... hehe.... and I just got a night job this week... so she is at my friends house about twice a week to go to bed. The first few times it was hard for her to get her to sleep... but now she goes to bed byherself great! No fuss or anything.... my suggestion- let a grandparent keep em overnight a few times and see if they get the idea.... she's also sleeping almost all night now also.....
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 8:39 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• We are working on the same thing, but our's are much younger. Here's is a webiste that I found that we are going to try the method suggested. Good luck!!!

http://elcaminopediatrics.com/healthinfo-infant-sleep-habits-012103.htm
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 8:45 PM on Mar. 4, 2009