Moms of 11-12 months olds...please read!

I am worried. My son just turned 11 months old on the 27th and he babbles all the time, but he only says mama if he is crying. He always says baba, but more like, babababab, and same with dadada. he doesnt some to associate word with object. He will be a year on the 27th of March. Should I be concerned??

AmandaL21

Asked by AmandaL21 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. He's fine. They should have a handful of words by 18 months, 50 by 2 years (and 2-3 word phrases) He's babbling, that's great.

I have two in speech therapy, so I've been through a couple/few evaluations! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:10 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My son is 13months and loves to babble to himself. What he was doing was just crying and reaching for what he wanted to I discouraged that by asking him to ask for it a few times. If he didnt ask and only cried he didn't get it. Long story short, he is saying words like please, more, all done, daddy, mommy, kitty, ummy, na night, boobie, bath, pretty much anything that associates with his day to day activities. Don't push him just practice and make it tons of fun; making it fun always works for us!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Watch for other signs of language such as pointing. Does he point to things? Does he stand in front of you with his arms up and say "uh" (or any noise) when he wants up?
    Encourage the use of gestures like those, it will help his language develop, and simply know that those area good signs that he is on target with his language skills.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Babies learn things at different stages- he might be too busy learning other things to focus on talking, such as walking, standing, hand eye corridation. Plus- if someone is there talking for him..such as an older sibling..... . it can delay things because they aren't FORCED to talk....
    BabyDio

Answer by BabyDio at 8:34 PM on Mar. 4, 2009