Where do I start with adopting? Are there any less expensive successful methods of adopting?

We are very interested in adopting a baby or toddler, however budget wise I don't think we are ready. I didn't think it would be so expensive. I found an adorable baby in Russia and the adoption would cost around $45000.00. If we paid that we wouldn't have any money left to raise him. We live in a small town and we do o.k. financially, but not that well. I hear that U.S. adoptions cost about the same. Does anyone have any tips for us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Adoption

• There are a few different types of adoption available:
    Foster-adopt: usually need to be licensed to foster, then when TPR is signed you may be eligible to adopt the child.. small fees, but typically paid by the state..
    Domestic Infant: done through agency or attorney.. $$, background checks as well, waiting lists, can take years to be matched with e-mom
    Int'l- long waits, tons of paperwork, $$, 4 levels of gov't...

Do a ton of research, which it sounds like you are already doing so...
    We adopted from China.. The cost was $26k total. We received $11360 from the adoption tax credit, $2K from my former employer and $7800 from dh's employer in adoption benefits. There are also grants available.
    GL and if you have any questions contact me and I will try to help.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You will find links to lots of info at http://www.childwelfare.gov/nfcad/

We are in the process of a fost/adopt right now, and it costs virtually nothing. In most cases, you can go through your county. Usually the way it works is that you become licensed as both a foster and adoptive parent/family. Then a child/children is placed with you who is either legally free for adoption, or it looks very certain that they will be free and won't go back to their parents. You can usually say how much risk you are willing to take.

There are lots of kids legally free and waiting who are over 5, or in larger sibling groups. Individuals or small siblings groups under the age of 5 are likely to involve some wait time before placement as there are more people looking to adopt younger children.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• it doesnt take $45,000 to adopt a child. try foster care. it isn't like you'd get a baby from russia..by the time you get the child they would be toddler age.
    Anonymous

• We did foster to adopt and our daughter came to use as a foster child at 2 days old. We adopted her at 15 months old. Our fees were only $16.50 for the birth certificate and the state paid for our attorneys fees, court fees, etc.

It's not the easiest route because nothing is guaranteed, but it IS the most cost effective method. Plus sometimes the children are eligible for adoption subsidies which help offset any expenses incurred for their therapy or doctors if applicable.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 9:14 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Foster care all the way. You may have several different placements while you wait but you also have the joy of knowing that you have made a difference in a young child's life in the meantime. We've had a couple of different sibling groups come thru our home that came up for adoption but that's not why we do foster care. We're foster care and then they move on to go home with their parents or move on to adoptive parents. The fees are minimual to adopt.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:45 AM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I did fost/adopt & it was great. I got my daughter when she was 8 months old. She is now 8. It took me 15 months from starting the process to getting her. We are looking into doing it again.
    sassyinsilver

Answer by sassyinsilver at 2:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You might also want to look in countries that are not predominantly caucasian in color. Many countries you can adopt from, for 1/3 - 1/4 less.

~Heather

Hottiehp21

Answer by Hottiehp21 at 3:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• davethomasfoundation.org
    adoptuskids.org

Contact your local social service agency. Ask about adoption.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We've had a great experience ith foster adoption, which is basically free. Most chidren also qualify for post-adoption subsidies, and the full $11k federal adoption credit. Good luck!
    ForeverMom05

Answer by ForeverMom05 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Foster adoption is a great way to go. It may take alittle longer wait to get an infant or toddler, but it costs next to nothing. You even get government aid with groceries and medical bills for the child during the foster period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Mar. 12, 2009