My son feels the need to play with my nipple..

When 13month old is nursing on one breast he feels the need to ALWAYS play with the other nipple with two fingers. It is so annoying and it hurts. I've been patient with him, hid it, wore a bra, everything to try to discourage it but he acts like it's silk on a blanket, help! Why does he do this and how can I get him to stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would try to hold his hand or redirect his attention. I used a nursing necklace, but got beat up with it. lol Mine was a neck/face/ear rubber...it drove me nuts.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• You are a comfort object to him.
    Maybe give him something else he loves to hold while you nurse him, and keep the other "side" covered up meantime. Otta sight otta mind.
    Anonymous

• My 17 month old still does that, I don't like it either, but it's normal.

Try a nursing necklace (or just any chuncky bright necklace you can find) for him to play wth while he nurses. Or try just holding his hand.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 7:17 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My son does it too. I have to cover my other nipple with my hand or bra  when he is nursing. If he tries to play with it I redirect him. If that does not work I tell him that if he continues the "nur" will go away. If he tries again I put him down and end the nursing session. Now it usually only gets to that point once a week. After all he does not what his precious "nur" taken away.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• My daughter does now it too. My son did as well and just stopped on his own.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I put my arm over the other nipple. My DD loves to snake her little hand down the front of my shirt. At first she was frustrated that I wouldn't let her do it, but I held firm. Now, anytime she starts reaching down my shirt, I place my arm over my breast, and she stops immediately.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:30 PM on Mar. 4, 2009