7 weeks and 99.1 fever, help!

She is 7 weeks and I think she has a cold (stuffy nose, cranky, mucousy, etc) and she has been having a low fever all day but now it is reading 99.1 under her armpit and I'm very worried. That makes 100.1 of a temp. What do I do? Her dr.s office is closed already.

SnShine8

Asked by SnShine8 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't worry about it. In an infant their temp can get as high as 102-103 before there is any need to worry. If she seems comfortable don't give her any meds to reduce the fever, it's the bodies way of fighting off viruses and/or infections. If she starts to get uncomfortable or the fever rises, give her some Tylenol, follow the dosage on the back or call the on call Dr.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:31 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Is it possible to call the doctor on call? My ped's office has a triage nurse that answers and you tell her what's going on, if it's not serious, she gives advice, if it's serious, she has the doc call you. i assume most doc offices have something like this in place. Good luck. I'm not really sure what else to tell you.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 7:32 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• when dd was 9 weeks she had a fever of 100.2 i took her to the er lol i panicked and the er doc said a fever for an infant is 100.5 or higher he also said rectal temp is most accurate i would take it in his/her bum before you get nervous and i afree with pp if you are really that nervous just call they are used to those phone calls and its not like its 3 in the morning!! good luck momma
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 7:56 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I agree with happyathomemum and wanted to add that even if baby's temp is 100.1, pay more attention to how she is acting. If she is her normal self, don't worry too much. If she is unresponsive or extremely lethargic, call the Dr ASAP. Trust your instinct.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Check it rectal 100.5 and Higher you need to take her to the ER.

Mrs.Smith84

Answer by Mrs.Smith84 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• In any baby under 3 months a fever of 100.5 should be looked at. I would do a rectal temp to get a more accurate reading
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:14 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• Thank you all. Just to update she is doing ok now. She still has a stuffy nose and a little tiny cough but her fever went down and I think she is getting better.
    SnShine8

Answer by SnShine8 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 5, 2009