Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can anyone tell me an easy way to know if your skin tone is warm or cool w/o going to a makeup expert?

 
starbucks81

Asked by starbucks81 at 7:51 PM on Mar. 4, 2009 in Beauty & Style

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • Yes, definitely. Which ever one looks best on you is the tone you are. Cool tones look best in silver and warm tones in gold
    MicahsMom612

    Answer by MicahsMom612 at 11:38 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • Take silver and gold eyeshadow and smear it into your hand in seperate areas. Which ever one blends more into your skin is what tone you are. Gold being warm tone and silver being cool.
    Ash9724

    Answer by Ash9724 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • In natural diffused light (outside on a sunny day in the light shade) look at the veins on your wrist. If they are a blue color, you have cool tone skin. If they are green color, you have warm tone skin.
    timelessglass

    Answer by timelessglass at 7:59 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • Only 10% of people actually have warm skin tones, the rest of the population, 90% has cool skin tones. Cool undertones would be like what you have-yellow undertones or green/olive undertones. If you were warm, it would have pink undertones-that doesn't mean pink or redness on your skin.
    Source(s):
    makeup consultant www.marykay.com
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • Take silver and gold eyeshadow and smear it into your hand in seperate areas. Which ever one blends more into your skin is what tone you are. Gold being warm tone and silver being cool.


    This is the easiest way.. which ever looks best on you~ I personally put on colors i like..
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • Having done cosmetology, I have to say the Marykay source is actually incorrect. I have rosy undertones, but am cool toned, so that really doesn't fly. Rather than putting eyeshadow on your hand, take a piece of gold fabric and a piece of silver fabric and hold them up to your face to see which looks better.
    MicahsMom612

    Answer by MicahsMom612 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • Will a gold tone or silver tone jewelry help indicate the skin tone too?
    starbucks81

    Answer by starbucks81 at 8:44 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

  • If you don't have the gold or silver cloths you can get the same idea from a white and cream colored fabric or blouse. It's easier to tell with the gold and silver though.

    Sometimes when you first do it you're not sure what you're looking for. I am definitley a warm, if I put the silver drape in front of me I look totally washed out and i look like i have dark circles under my eyes. The gold cloth makes my skin look brighter and my eyes stand out. Play with it a little and you'll really catch on.
    TheresaAvon

    Answer by TheresaAvon at 3:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • I am a professional MUA. You can message me if you want.
    BLoNdIe121679

    Answer by BLoNdIe121679 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • I do custom blend foundations and here are guidlines we use.
    Warm skin is peachy or ivory everything else is cool.
    Freckles of a warm undertone will be golden-brown to red or even strawberry
    Freckles of a cool undertone will be charcoal brown
    warm skin never has yellow in it.
    Asian skin is never warm.
    Sallow skin looks yellow but is usually cool.
    African-American skin is cool 80% of the time
    Olive skin is Always cool
    Yellow spots in the eyes are always warm
    hazel eyes are always cool unless they have bright yellow spots
    Hope this helps
    MOTIVESMOMMY

    Answer by MOTIVESMOMMY at 2:44 PM on Mar. 6, 2009